Mother who died after routine surgery had surgical equipment left in her body
The Daily Mail reported yesterday that a mother who died following keyhole surgery on her abdomen had surgical equipment left inside her body after the operation.
It is not yet known what Nicola Haynes' cause of death was. However, when she passed away unexpectedly weeks after the routine procedure, hospital staff found a pair of surgical clips had not been removed, the Daily Mail reports.
It's shocking, but despite the retention of instruments post-operation being included on the NHS Never Events list, it's an issue that we continue to handle as medical negligence solicitors. NHS Never Events are serious but preventable patient safety incidents that should never be allowed to happen and a list is published each year.
Leaving surgical equipment such as instruments, clamps and suction tubes inside someone after an operation can result in significant injury and distress to a patient. They can cause infection, meaning patients do not heal well after an operation and are left with ongoing pain and in need of further procedures and treatment.
When a patient is told that foreign bodies have been found inside them this also causes much emotional distress and it can be difficult for them to come to terms with such a poor level of medical care. The combined effects of the physical and emotional trauma can result in significant compensation settlements for victims, which can help them to pick up the pieces of their lives.