- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Partner London Employment
Suzanne joined JMW LLP in 2021, as a Partner (Barrister) in the Employment team. Suzanne’s expertise in employment and discrimination law was recognised in both leading legal directories: Legal 500, and Chambers & Partners. She was most recently described by Chambers UK as "Bright, punchy and passionate about her cases."
Suzanne prides herself on having an excellent, close working relationship with her clients. She enjoys really understanding the legal and practical issues they face and what they hope to achieve. Armed with that information, she works hard to utilise her technical knowledge of the law and work as a team with her client, to try to achieve the results her client is trying to accomplish. This, in large part, is why she was nominated for The Bar Council's "Outstanding Employed Barrister at a Law Firm" Award 2020, by one of her clients.
Suzanne works closely with Legal Counsel, Employment Counsel and Human Resources (HR) staff members, high net worth individuals, and executives on a range of employment law issues. These issues include a plethora of people / employee relations issues, from grievances and disciplinary hearings, managing or assisting employees with protected characteristics, such as disabilities, right through advising on the enforceability of restrictive covenants.
Suzanne thinks very strategically and analytically. Suzanne spent many years at the independent bar, and was frequently in court and Tribunal, before moving to private practice. Therefore, she has a unique perspective when assisting her clients at all stages of the litigation process, from advising clients; preparing the cases; and presenting the case in Tribunal or Court. She frequently advises on and manages complex employment litigation in both the civil courts and Employment Tribunal, particularly those involving allegations of discrimination, victimisation and/or whistleblowing. Additionally, she continues to be instructed to perform advocacy at all levels, and in both 2018 and 2019, appeared at the Court of Appeal* in her own right. She has a specialist interest in financial services, professional services, the technology sector, and the education sector. She also has a love of the media and fashion, and thoroughly enjoys working in those sectors. She particularly enjoys working on cross-jurisdictional issues.
Suzanne’s energy, positive attitude, and tenacity to get results are mixed with a lot of fun, especially when she is enjoying her hobby of skiing on and off-piste, and surviving both the terrain and natural elements.
Outside of work, Suzanne enjoys walking her dog around areas of natural beauty in Surrey, eating good food (whether that be a street van or a Michelin starred restaurant), dancing, and getting involved in all things fashion related.
Representative examples of experience
- Preparing and conducting the advocacy on a range of multi-week Tribunal cases concerning allegations of unfair dismissal, whistleblowing, victimisation, and discrimination;
- Working on cases concerning allegations of breach of contract, breach of restrictive covenants, breach of confidence, and breach of fiduciary obligations in the financial services industry;
- Advising on team move issues and protection of business interests;
- Advising on a client's complex disciplinary process, enshrined in statute;
- Significant experience in cross-jurisdictional issues, where she advises and assists companies with a presence throughout EMEA. In particular, she advises on and has assisted with cases concerning whether the employee has extra-territorial jurisdiction to bring an Employment Tribunal claim in England and Wales.
- Due to her expertise in the financial services sector, Suzanne co-presented two webinars, as part of a series, on the Senior Managers and Certification Regime (SMCR. She is looking forward to speaking about employment and discrimination issues within the financial services industry at a 100 Women in Finance event, later in 2021 and in 2022.
- Suzanne was selected by CIPD to provide training on Employment Tribunal litigation to its members, on several occasions, whereby she acted as the advocate on a mock Employment Tribunal trial.
Suzanne can be seen discussing various employment law matters on JMW's Inside Man: