Apply for a UK Work Visa

If you are looking to invest in the UK, work, attract talent, or secure a university place, JMW’s immigration solicitors are here to help you apply for a UK work visa.

There is a lot at stake when making a visa application for yourself or your business, so it is vital that you get legal help from experienced immigration lawyers. We provide a high-quality service that aims to take you through the application process quickly and efficiently, and are always willing to go that extra step to ensure all your requirements are met.

We understand that there are a variety of circumstances to consider when making a UK work visa application, which is why we approach applications in a way that meets your individual needs to ensure a successful outcome. 

To speak to a solicitor about making a visa application, contact the team on 0203 675 7600, or fill in our online enquiry form and we will get back to you.

Visa Applications for Individuals

The UK Home Office operates a point-based system (PBS), which is designed to attract high achievers from around the world. You are required to pass a points-based assessment in order to be able to apply for a UK work visa.

There are 10 types of visas for highly-skilled people, these include:

Skilled Worker Visa

The skilled worker visa has replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa. This visa allows applicants to stay in the UK to do an eligible job with a licensed sponsor. For more information on applying for a skilled worker visa, visit our dedicated page.

Investor Visa

Investor visas are for high-net-worth individuals who want to make a considerable financial investment in the UK of £2 million or more. For more information on applying for an investor visa, visit our dedicated page.

Global Talent

The Global Talent route is designed for ‘exceptionally talented’ individuals in the fields of science, humanities, engineering, performing arts and digital technology. For more information on applying to work in the UK based on exceptional talent, visit our dedicated page.

Student Visa

A study visa is required for students who wish to come to the UK for the purpose of studying. To read more about applying for a student visa, visit our dedicated page.

Temporary Work Visa

The temporary work visa is designed to accommodate people coming to the UK on a temporary basis with a job offer from a licensed sponsor and a valid Certificate of Sponsorship. To read more about making an application for a temporary work visa, visit our dedicated page.

Sportsperson Visa

The sportsperson visa is for international sportspeople or qualified coaches who are making a contribution to the development of sport while in the UK. Applicants must have a confirmed job offer and their employment must be sponsored by a UK employer. They must also have an endorsement from the relevant governing sports body. For more information on sportsperson visas, visit our dedicated page.  

Minister of Religion Visa

The minister of religion visa is suitable for individuals looking to move to the UK to work full-time as a religious worker or missionary. To find out more about the minister of religion visa, visit our dedicated page.

Permitted Engagement Visa

The permitted engagement visa is for individuals who have been invited to the UK as an expert in their field. To find out more about the permitted engagement visa, visit our dedicated page.

Youth Mobility Scheme Visa

The Youth Mobility Scheme allows sponsored young people from participating countries to live and work in the UK for up to two years.

Health and Care Visa

The health and care visa is part of the skilled worker route that enables individuals to come to the UK to work in eligible health occupations. Applicants must have a job offer from the NHS, social care sector or an organisation that provides services to the NHS. Read more about health and care visas on our dedicated page.

Visa Applications for Companies

To employ non-UK residents for a UK business, a sponsor licence must be obtained from the Home Office so that a Certificate of Sponsorship can be issued to the migrant worker. There are two types of applications relating to employing staff from overseas:

Sponsor Licences

In order to employ a member of staff from overseas, you need to apply for a sponsor licence to provide evidence that the migrant worker has a genuine job in the UK. The sponsor licence also acts as a pledge that you will accept the responsibilities of the sponsorship. For more information on applying for a sponsor licence, visit our dedicated page.  

Intra-Company Transfer

An intra-company transfer is designed for employees of multinational companies who wish to be transferred to a UK branch of the organisation, either on a long-term basis or for frequent short visits. For more information on intra-company transfers, visit our dedicated page.

Why Choose JMW?

JMW Solicitors is a top 100 law firm based in the UK with offices located in London, Manchester and Liverpool. As a multiple award-winning law firm with an exemplary track record of excellent legal services, we take great pride in how we treat our clients and place a great emphasis on the traditional values of courtesy, helpfulness, sincerity, discretion and tact. At the same time, we insist on consistently high standards of efficiency and effectiveness.

No matter how challenging or complex the mandate, we are not satisfied until we have delivered the highest quality, and most effective legal advice.

The ethos at JMW has always been to build a close and lasting relationship with clients. Our partner-led service ensures that the right expert at the right level provides specialist advice that is tailored to you. 

Talk to Us

If you’re looking to apply for a visa to work, study or attract talent from overseas in the UK, contact our expert immigration solicitors today by calling 0203 675 7600, or complete our online enquiry form and a member of the team will give you a call back.

Let us contact you

View our Privacy Policy