Tier 4 (Student) Visa Applications

Tier 4 of the points-based visa system is focused on non-EEA nationals that wish to come to the UK for the purpose of studying. 

To successfully apply under this category, applicants must meet the minimum threshold of points that are provided with a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS), and by meeting the relevant maintenance funds and English language requirements.

If you’re looking to apply for a Tier 4 Student visa, JMW’s experienced immigration solicitors can help you to make a successful application. Contact us today by calling 0345 872 6666, or fill in our online enquiry form to request a call back at a time that suits you.

How JMW Can Help

As specialists in immigration law, we can offer a full service to clients that require advice and assistance with their immigration matters. We provide guidance on the following: 

  • Obtaining a CAS from your educational establishment
  • Preparing a Tier 4 application
  • Applying for a Tier 4 visa extension
  • Providing assistance in switching your immigration status

Our immigration lawyers will consider your circumstances and advise you on the appropriate action to take. We will help you to prepare all documentation and liaise with the Home Office throughout proceedings to ensure you receive a successful outcome.

With our office is located in the City of London we are well-positioned to assist clients based in the UK and abroad.

Applying for a Tier 4 Visa

To successfully apply for a Tier 4 visa, applicants must score 40 points in total:

  • 30 points for having a valid CAS
  • 10 points for English language understanding and having available maintenance funds

For applicants in the UK, applications can be made online, while those applying at an overseas UK visa issuing post will need to complete an online entry clearance application and book an appointment with VFS Global or TLScontact in their country of residence.

Non-EEA nationals applying for this type of visa will require the educational establishment that they wish to study at to provide them with a CAS to study on an acceptable course, and will also need to have their maintenance funds considered.


How long does it take the Home Office to process a Tier 4 visa application?

Processing times may vary depending on whether you are applying from in the UK or overseas. Applications made abroad can typically take 15 working days to process, although priority visa service options are available.

Application submitted in the UK are usually processed within eight weeks; however, priority services are available for applications to be processed within five working days, or by the next working day for an extra fee.

If your new course of study is due to commence more than 28 days after the expiry of your current Tier 4 visa, you must return to your home country and submit an entry clearance application. 

How much money do I need to show to apply for a Tier 4 visa?

To demonstrate sufficient maintenance funds, applicants are required to cover their living costs and their course fees. If you are applying to start a new course, you must show that you have enough money to pay for your course fees for at least the first year. 

You will also need to evidence sufficient funds for monthly living costs, up to a maximum of 9 months. The precise amount that you would need to prove depends on whether you are studying in or outside of London.

How many hours can I work whilst I am on a Tier 4 student visa?

If you are on a course at degree level or above (RQF Level 6 or above at a UK higher education institution, or are studying for a short-term degree in the UK at an overseas Higher-education establishment, you are allowed to work for up to 20 hours per week during term time, and work full-time during vacations.

You are not allowed to work in the UK if you are on a course at any level with an education provider that is not a UK higher education provider or a publicly funded further education college.

My college has lost its Tier 4 sponsor licence - what can I do?

If your college has its Tier 4 sponsor licence suspended while you are studying in the UK, the Home Office will limit your permission to stay. If you were not involved in the reasons why the licence was withdrawn, your permission to stay will be reduced to 60 days.

The Home Office will not limit your permission to stay in the UK if your visa will expire in less than 60 days. During this period, you are able to make a new application for leave to remain in the UK.

If the Home Office has reason to believe you were involved in the suspension, they will curtail your permission to stay immediately. 

If your college has had its licence suspended or you are worried that this might happen, get in touch with us today for advice and support.

I have received a refusal letter for my student visa application - what should I do?

If your case has been refused and you believe the decision was incorrect, it is more than likely that you will be given the right to an administrative review and to request that your application be looked at again. Reviews usually have to be submitted within 14 days if you’re applying in the UK, and 28 days if you’re making an application overseas.

Talk to Us

If you would like to know more about qualifying for a Tier 4 (Student) visa, or need assistance with an application, please don’t hesitate to contact us by calling 0345 872 6666 or fill in our online enquiry form to request a call back at a time that suits you.

Let us contact you

View our Privacy Policy