- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Partner Manchester Commercial Litigation
Richard is a Partner in the Commercial Litigation department, where he specialises in construction and engineering disputes. He joined JMW in June 2018.
Richard has a wealth of experience advising on construction and engineering disputes in the UK and overseas, acting for clients in mediation, adjudication, arbitration and litigation. Much of his time is spent working with clients before disputes arise, providing strategic advice to help manage and avoid risk on live projects.
Richard has worked with many of the UK’s, and the world’s largest construction and engineering contractors, and is familiar with the standard contract forms commonly used in the UK and internationally, including JCT, NEC, ICE, FIDIC and LOGIC.
Richard’s work highlights include:
- Advising an M&E consultant in a billion dollar arbitration claim brought by a major oil and gas operating company, arising out of the design and construction of a new oil and gas processing facility and off-shore pipelines in Russia.
- Providing operational and risk management support on a project to build a new mass transit system in Saudi Arabia, where Richard worked at the client’s offices in Germany and Jeddah.
- Advising a UK nuclear Site Licence Company in multi-million pound claims against a contractor relating to defective design/workmanship.
- Advising a UK local authority in respect of multiple complex defects in the construction of a £100m new building, providing strategic advice and acting in multiple adjudications brought by the contractor.
- Acting for the main contractor responding to multiple adjudications brought by the cladding subcontractor on a landmark building in Manchester, in claims for delay, disruption and valuation.
- Advising and acting for an international geotechnical sub-contractor in disputes relating to alleged defects and entitlements to additional time and money, arising from a new UK seaport facility.
With a First degree in civil engineering, Richard spent several years practising as a design engineer on projects including Manchester Airport Runway 2, the A69 DBFO project and numerous flood defence schemes in the UK. Since completing his training contract in London, Richard has worked around the UK and overseas with Pinsent Masons, Hogan Lovells and, most recently, DLA Piper.
Out of the office, Richard enjoys fitting sport around his busy family life and keeps himself fit by commuting on his bike. He also claims he was once “a reasonably competent oarsman”, having competed at rowing events such as Henley Royal Regatta and the British National Championships.