- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- Armed Forces Claims
- Clinical Negligence
- Court of Protection
- Criminal Defence
- Driving Offences
- Family Law
- Intellectual Property
- Media Law
- Personal Injury
- Personal Immigration Services
- Personal Insolvency
- Professional Regulation and Discipline
- Residential Real Estate
- Wills, Trusts & Estate Planning
- Will Disputes
- About Us
- News & Events
Associate Solicitor London Intellectual Property
Lakmal joined JMW in December 2020 as an Associate Solicitor in the Intellectual Property Department.
Lakmal specialises in all aspects of intellectual property law including:
- Trade mark, design right, copyright, patent, breach of confidence, defamation disputes, predominantly heard in the High Court (Chancery Division) and the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court;
- All trade mark and design registry matters (both EUIPO and UKIPO), including filing and prosecution of applications, and representing clients in contentious matters such as oppositions and cancellation actions;
- IP agreements including assignments and licences;
- General brand and IP maintenance advice;
- Particular experience in complex aspects of IP litigation.
Lakmal has worked on notable reported cases in the IP field including:
- Freshasia Foods Ltd v Lu  EWHC 3644 (Ch) &  EWHC 638 (Ch) – breach of confidence case involving a former employee
- Link Up Mitaka Ltd (t/a Thebigword) v Language Empire Ltd & Anor  EWHC 2728 (IPEC) – inquiry as to damages in a trade mark infringement case in the IPEC
- Link Up Mitaka Ltd (t/a Thebigword) v Language Empire Ltd & Anor  EWHC 2633 (IPEC) (09 October 2018) – trade mark infringement case in the IPEC
- Argos Ltd v Argos Systems Inc  EWCA Civ 2211 (09 October 2018) – appeal to Court of Appeal regarding several issues from the High Court’s decision including targeting and consent.
- Argos Ltd v Argos Systems Inc  EWHC 231 (Ch) (15 February 2017) – High Court case on the trade mark issue of targeting and infringement in the sphere of internet advertising.
Lakmal studied both his LLB (Law, Hons) and his LLM (Intellectual Property Law) at the University of Leeds. Lakmal had previously trained and worked at a specialist boutique IP practice, in their Leeds and London branches.
Lakmal speaks both English and Sinhala. Outside of work, Lakmal likes spending time with family and friends, reading, cooking, listening to records or playing cricket.