- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- Armed Forces Claims
- Clinical Negligence
- Court of Protection
- Criminal Defence
- Driving Offences
- Family Law
- Intellectual Property
- Media Law
- Personal Injury
- Personal Immigration Services
- Personal Insolvency
- Professional Regulation and Discipline
- Residential Real Estate
- Wills, Trusts & Estate Planning
- Will Disputes
- About Us
- News & Events
Partner London Business Crime & Regulation
Daniel Martin is a partner with a background in financial and business crime, regulatory investigations and serious general crime. He has a wealth of experience in cases involving serious and organised crime, often with an international element.
Daniel specialises in corporate and financial crime, working on cases involving high value and complex fraud. He also advises corporates on internal investigations and bringing private prosecutions in the criminal courts and has significant experience in defending asset recovery and confiscation proceedings under the Proceeds of Crime Act (POCA).
Daniel advises corporate clients on regulatory compliance with UK financial crime law, including the AML/CTF regime, and is also a specialist Solicitor-Advocate, regularly representing clients in the Crown Court. He is ranked as a ‘Next Generation Partner’ in the Legal 500.
- Advising the former director of a carbon credit trading company as part of the “landmark” multi-jurisdictional ‘Operation RICO’ investigation – at the time the largest ever international boiler room operation by the City of London Police (CoLP) resulting in 110 arrests.
- Advising a commercial property firm being investigated by HMRC as part of a national crackdown operation targeting breaches of AML regulation in the property sector.
- Advising the directors of two separate companies being investigated by Royal Mail Fraud investigation unit in relation to a high value cross-UK ‘stamp-washing’ fraud.
- Advising a corporate defendant being investigated by the HSE in relation to a serious industrial accident at a manufacturing site.
- Advising a corporate defendant being investigated by the HSE following multiple instances of HAVS injuries reported pursuant to RIDDOR.
- Representing corporate defendants in two of only three prosecutions to date for breaches of the European Timber Regulations (EUTR), including the first ever prosecution of its kind.
- Representing a London charity prosecuted by Companies House for failing to keep the necessary records relating to people with significant control.
- Advising a multi-billion dollar corporate client in relation to the prosecution of two directors of a U.K. subsidiary by Companies House for offences relating to the company’s accounting practices.
- Advising multiple UK and international corporate clients on internal investigations and subsequent private prosecution of former employees or associates.
Regulation & Compliance advisory
- Held position of Chief Compliance Officer at a top-200 U.K. law firm, with overall responsibility for the risk and compliance function across all services.
- Advising a large UK retailer in relation to their internal risk management policies across multiple sites relating to the sale of age-restricted items.
- Advising multiple commercial property agencies in to deliver AML/CTF projects involving the implementation of effective policies, controls and procedures (PCPs) and delivering online and on-site training to both management and employees.
- Advising a retailer in England in relation to consignments of replica weapons imported from the U.S. that were seized by U.K. customs upon entry to the country.
- Delivering seminars and training to a variety of corporate clients on subjects such as cryptocurrency, cyber-security, online fraud, GDPR, anti-money laundering, anti-bribery regulation and whistleblowing.
- Advising a youth suspect being investigated for offences under the Explosives Substances Act 1883 and on suspicion of attempting to join a prescribed terrorist organisation.
- Representing a defendant charged in a multi-handed conspiracy to murder trial.
- Representing the lead defendant in a pan-European immigration fraud trial which targeted an international organised crime group operating out of East London.
- Representing a youth defendant prosecuted following an Interpol-led operation targeting the importation of high purity class-A drugs into the UK via the dark web.
- Successfully defending one of the lead defendants in the 2016 Swaleside prison mutiny trial, which was heavily reported in the national press.
- Representing the “kingpin” in ‘Operation Horizon’ – a national operation involving the Met and 2 regional police forces targeting an organised crime group trafficking class-A drugs across ‘county-lines’ between London, Coventry and Cumbria.
Daniel has Masters degree in Legal Practice (LLM) and has contributed to various publications, most notably the legal chapters in the Amazon best-seller The Double Dangerous Book for Boys. In his spare time he is a keen fisherman, cyclist and snowboarder.
He is a member of the Private Prosecutors’ Association.
Comments from the legal directories
Daniel Martin "is singled out for his expertise in financial and corporate crime, including cybercrime"
- Legal 500, UK 2021
“Dan Martin is an assured and wise operator”
“Daniel Martin’s cool calmness under pressure, coupled with his unrelenting attention to detail make him every prosecutor’s nightmare.”
- Legal 500, UK 2020
Daniel is…“particularly good as he is calm and very thorough and achieves just and reasonable solutions”.
- Legal 500, UK 2019
Partner and Head of Department
Business Crime, Regulation & Driving Offences