Armed Forces Injury Claim

If you have been wrongfully injured whilst carrying out your duties, such as during a training exercise, or if you suffer from a psychological disorder such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) due to your time in the military, you may be able to make a compensation claim.

At JMW, our specialist team is dedicated to helping current and former armed forces employees understand if they're eligible for compensation as a result of an accident, and to then get the compensation they deserve.

Speak to our team today. If you are unsure whether you are eligible to make a claim, we are here to answer any questions you may have. Call us on 0800 054 6570 or, if you would prefer for us to call you, complete our online enquiry form.

What Our Clients Say
  • Thank you so much

    "Thank you so very much for the cheque, which I received today. "I would also like to thank you for the efficiency, kindness and patience you have shown to me during the past 17 months. You have pointed me in the right direction throughout, for which I am very grateful. "Thank you all once again for your help and support."

    Mr W


  • I would just like to thank you

    "I would just like to thank you for all your hard work in getting me a happy result. I know it's your job, but I appreciate it was potentially a tricky one to tackle, I didn't find any other solicitors prepared to take the challenge!"

    Ms C

  • Thank you for your help

    "Thank you for your help today and once again, going that extra mile for my family and me. Your firm's motto is "in your corner" but what you do goes beyond that. Whatever the outcome of the case is, I know that I would not have wanted anybody else by my side."

    Mr R

About Armed Forces Injury Claims

Being in the military may not be amongst the safest of the professions, nevertheless, you are entitled to appropriate protection - especially when in a non-combat situation. If you suffer an accident that was the result of negligence on the part of the Ministry of Defence (MOD), your immediate superiors or fellow service personnel, you may be entitled to financial compensation for any resultant medical fees and time spent out of work.

The Crown Proceedings (Armed Forces) Act 1987 enables military personnel to claim for personal injury if it can be demonstrated that the MOD failed in its legal duty of care or its health and safety duties and this resulted in you being hurt.

If you have been injured during ongoing combat or while in active duty, the MOD's combat immunity provision usually means that you are not able to claim for these types of injury. However, there are occasions, such as being involved in an accident on MOD property, where this is not applicable, and you should contact us if you feel you may still be eligible to claim.


It is possible to claim compensation if you have been wrongfully injured - whether during military training exercises or in any other aspect of your employment - or suffer from PTSD or a related psychological disorder.

Whether your claim is against a civilian defendant or against the MOD, the rules are the same. You will not be required to leave the armed forces in order to make your claim, and your claim will be handled in the English legal system, regardless of whether or not your accident took place in the UK and abroad.   

There are a number of scenarios a member of the armed forces can be exposed to, where injury might be sustained as a result of the negligent actions of others, such as:

  • Military training accidents
  • Firing range accidents
  • Unsafe working practices
  • Defective military equipment
  • Unsafe military accommodation

If you have been hurt during your time in the armed forces and believe this could have been avoided, speak to us today to find out whether you may be in a position to make a claim. 

Accidents on MOD Property

If you have been injured while on MOD property and it was the fault of a third party - such as your employer - it is possible to make a claim for financial compensation. Common accidents on MOD property we have seen include:

  • Road traffic accidents
  • Equipment failures
  • Training and firing range accidents
  • Accidents due to poorly maintained property and infrastructure

Injuries sustained on MOD property can vary greatly, and we have dealt with a spectrum of injuries from those who’ve been involved in accidents on MOD property, from broken bones and abrasions to slips and trips, to individuals who’ve suffered a loss of hearing as a result of the working conditions they’ve been exposed to.

Regardless of your type of injury, if it was caused by somebody else’s negligence you are entitled to make a claim for compensation.

The Responsibility of the MOD

Like other workplaces, those in charge at the MOD have a legal responsibility to ensure the safety of all of its employees. This includes carrying out risk assessments and putting procedures in place to reduce hazards. Steps that should be adhered to include:

  • Providing personal protective equipment
  • Ensuring all staff are fully trained
  • Supervising or ensuring supervision and personnel support for particularly dangerous tasks

If there has been a failure to protect you appropriately, you will be eligible for compensation and should contact our team.

Of course, you may have also suffered injury whilst on MOD land, but are not actually employed by the MOD. You may be a delivery person, a relative of a member of the armed forces, or a visitor to the site. Just as the MOD has a duty of care to its employees, so it does to visitors and other residents on its bases. If you match one of the above criteria and wish to make a claim after being injured on MOD property, JMW can help you pursue a claim and get the compensation you are entitled to.

How Long Do I Have to Make a Claim?

Time limits for a claim depend on the type of claim you are making. For civilian claims, you have three years from the time of your accident, or from the time you became aware your injury was caused by an accident in the MOD. For AFCS and WPS claims, you have seven years from the time of your accident to put forward a claim. 

Why Choose JMW?

JMW has the knowledge and skills necessary to help you secure a successful outcome. We have the right experience to handle armed forces claims, and will provide the guidance you need to make sure the process is as simple and straightforward as it can be.

We know that it may seem daunting to pursue a claim against the armed forces, for various reasons. However, your claim, and the compensation you are awarded as a result of your claim, may make a big difference as you look to move forward with your life after your injury.

Talk to Us

For more information about pursuing compensation, contact our specialist solicitors today. Call for free on 0800 054 6570 or complete our online enquiry form, which will enable us to call you back at a time convenient for you.

Endorsed By


Read more

Let us contact you.
Privacy Policy
Wildcard SSL Certificates