- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Partner London Sports, Commercial and Healthcare Law
Nick joined JMW as a Partner in the Sports Law team in March 2020. He specialises in all aspects of Governance, Litigation and Regulation within the Sports and Healthcare sectors.
Nick has a broad practice that covers professional discipline, commercial and corporate governance, conflict/ dispute/ integrity management and medico-legal advisory work. This includes data protection, employment, criminal, regulatory and public law. Nick has advised on shareholders, profit share, partnership, distribution and licensing agreements. He has also been instructed on cases involving deaths in custody, gross negligence and corporate manslaughter, wilful neglect investigations, sexual assault and mental capacity cases.
Whilst highly experienced in the conduct of Specialist Regulatory Tribunals and Court Trials, including Appeals and Injunctions, Nick is also keen to advocate the benefits of Alternative Dispute Resolution. He currently sits as the Independent Solicitor on the Clinical Governance Committee of British Cycling and has provided advice to Premier League football club doctors regarding the difficulties that arise in transfer dealings and day-to-day player welfare issues.
He acts for a wide variety of clients from International Federations, National Governing Bodies, as well as Professional and Amateur Sports Clubs to the individual Professional and Amateur sports athletes and players.
Nick is noted for being very effective and pragmatic with his advice whilst having a business-like approach to litigation. His experience includes:
- Advice to British Swimming and Liverpool Football Club on their medicines and prescribing policies;
- Time critical advice to British Triathlon regarding the safety of a World Triathlon Series event;
- Advice to British Athletics regarding the misuse of controlled drugs;
- Advised on a FA & UKAD Anti-Doping infringement;
- Advice to both Southampton Football Club and Liverpool Football Club employees on the Virgil Van Dyke club transfer (a £75 million deal – then the highest fee ever paid for a football defender worldwide);
- Advised and represented Dr Eva Carneiro against Chelsea Football Club and Jose Mourinho;
- Advised on Equine Doping matters and the US Anti-Doping Agency investigation into Alberto Salazar;
- Advised on the non-selection for major sports events and satellite proceedings surrounding the “Bloodgate” scandal;
- Advised and Represented the doctors at the centre of the Baby P case, Stem Cell and Transgender Regulatory investigations;
- Advised and Represented an Interested Person at the In Amenas Inquest (International Terrorism in Algeria);
- Advised and represented the Consultant Breast Care Nurse in the Ian Paterson Breast Care scandal;
- Involved in the representation of core individuals in the MMR Scandal and Hillsborough Disaster’s Private Prosecution.
Nick has a Post-Graduate Certificate in Sports Law and in his spare time he enjoys playing and watching all sports including golf, hockey, squash and tennis, with the odd triathlon thrown in for fun.