- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Employment Law Breakfast Seminar – Unfair Dismissal
Tuesday, 28 January, 2020 - 8:00am
1 Byrom Place, Spinningfields Spinningfields Manchester, Lancashire M3 3HG United Kingdom
JMW will be hosting its first employment law workshop of 2020. In it, we will focus on Unfair Dismissal. Employers are not encouraged to follow Alan Sugar’s lead (You’re Fired!) when dismissing employees. With Google at their fingertips, employees know their rights and are not afraid to assert them. It is therefore vital for employers to ensure they are not leaving themselves open to an Employment Tribunal claim when taking a view to dismiss an employee. Our workshop will review what the law says about dismissing employees and the practical application of this in the workplace.
Our workshop is aimed at business owners and HR or those responsible for employee health and wellbeing, in addition to in-house lawyers.
The format of the event will be:-
8.00am - Registration, refreshments and breakfast.
8.30am – JMW will guide you through:-
• the law on unfair dismissal, including who can claim, what counts as a dismissal, the differences between unfair and wrongful dismissal;
• fair reasons for dismissal and automatically unfair dismissals;
• discrimination considerations when dealing with dismissing employees.
9.15am - Coffee Break
9.30am –The Procedure:-
• the ACAS Code of Practice;
• how to put things right when the procedure hasn’t gone according to plan;
• settlement and negotiation, including what really happens when an employee requests reinstatement or re-engagement; and
• will Brexit have any effect on employee’s unfair dismissal rights?
10.15am – Questions
10.30am - Finish and further networking opportunity
Places are limited and are allocated on a first come, first served basis so please ensure you reserve your free place below.