Catherine joined JMW in November 2016 as a Solicitor in the Business Crime and Regulatory team. Specialising in Police Misconduct, Catherine has extensive experience in representing officers during Criminal and Misconduct investigations, and at Post Incident Procedures instigated when death or serious injury is caused as a result of Police contact.
Catherine has experience in dealing with officers from a range of ranks, from Federated Officers through to Superintendents. Notably, Catherine has been part of the team representing David Duckenfield, the Match Day Commander on the day of the Hillsborough Disaster, during his Criminal proceedings.
In 2016 Catherine gained her Higher Rights of Audience enabling her to represent clients as a Solicitor-Advocate in the higher criminal courts throughout England and Wales.
Catherine has a background in criminal defence, and has been representing clients at Police Stations since 2013. She has experience in a wide range of Criminal offences including:
- Murder/Attempt Murder
- Kidnap and False Imprisonment
- Serious Sexual Assaults
- Fraud and dishonesty, including Money Laundering, Fraud by False Representation and Theft
- Perverting the Course of Justice
- Conspiracy to Supply Class A / Class B drugs
- Conveying Articles into Prison
- Causing Death by Dangerous Driving
- Proceeds of Crime Act applications
Catherine regularly undertakes a variety of Regulatory work including defending in investigations brought in respect of:
- GMC Investigations. Recently represented a doctor accused of sexual harassment and another doctor in proceedings involving the Misuse of Drugs Act and connected Regulatory offences.
- GPhC Investigations. Recently represented a pharmacist in respect of an investigation regarding fitness to practice.
- Inquests. Recently represented the driver of a vehicle that collided with a motorbike. The driver of the bike sadly passed away as a result of the incident.
- Health and Safety Investigations. Recently represented a building firm who failed to use and employ the correct equipment whilst undertaking roofing work contrary to Health and Safety regulations.
- Trading Standards Investigations. Recent cases include defending clients alleged to have overcharged for sub-standard roofing work and another company for supplying mislabelled goods.
- SAHCA – Solicitors Association of Higher Courts Advocates
- Women in Criminal Law North West
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers
- Manchester Law Society – Crown and Magistrates Court Committee
Catherine has been ranked in Chambers and Partners and has been described as "an extremely efficient and knowledgeable lawyer who quickly grasps complex issues and deals with them effectively."
- The Hillsborough Disaster
- Operation Embley – Representing senior officers in an IOPC investigation in to allegations that members of the Metropolitan Police Service Directorate of Professional Standards abused their position to affect ongoing investigations. Case ongoing.
- Represented a Superintendent in respect of allegations of Fraud and Misconduct relating to the submission of expenses claims. Case Ongoing.
- Represented a Superintendent accused of sexual assault following touching a female colleague in a manner that was alleged to have been inappropriate. Case ongoing.
- Represented an officer accused of pursuing a suspect driving a moped with a pillion passenger whilst off duty and in an unmarked car. Pursuit resulted in a crash and life changing injuries to pillion passenger. No further action taken against the officer.
- Represented a Police Constable charged with Assault following intervening in an altercation between two males whilst off duty. Case was dismissed following a successful submission of no case to answer.
- Represented a Police Constable in respect of allegation of theft, the officer having been spotted leaving a store with goods and failing to pay. Acquitted.
- Represented a Police Constable accused of domestic assault against his child.
- Represented numerous officers accused of theft after a suspect reported that items went missing after the search of a property. Case ongoing.
- Represented an officer accused of Steroid Misuse facing a special case hearing. Case ongoing.
- Represented an officer facing misconduct proceedings following alleged inappropriate deployment of a Police Dog to detain suspects. Case ongoing.
- Represented officer alleged to have used excessive force in detention of a suspect. Officer was alleged to have taken steps to ensure that the incident was not captured on body worn video. Case ongoing.
- Represented a Police Constable alleged to have been sleeping on duty whilst working in crucial counter terrorism role.
Post Incident Procedures
- Represented officers accused of shooting a suspect during an operation. The suspect passed away.
- Represented officers who attended to assist a female attempting to commit suicide by jumping from a motorway bridge into traffic below. The female jumped and suffered serious injury.
- Represented officers involved in the pursuit of a suspected stolen vehicle driven by a child. Pursuit resulted in a crash and the driver of the stolen vehicle passed away, the passenger suffered life changing injuries.