- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Job Title: Partner
Alison is a Partner in the Commercial Litigation department and joined JMW in June 2013.
Alison has undertaken a broad range of commercial litigation work with a particular emphasis on complex cases. She has attained a reputation for being extremely thorough with a very fine eye for detail. Her calm and common sense approach to litigation generates trust from her clients, who fully appreciate the tenacious way in which she fights their corner and the commercial and tactical advice she offers in any given circumstances.
Alison’s caseload covers a number of areas but has a particular emphasis on inheritance disputes and probate claims as well as professional negligence actions against solicitors, accountants and IFAs. She also deals with general commercial claims and public procurement.
Some examples of Alison’s work:
- Acts regularly on either side of probate claims where a Will is challenged on grounds of a lack of testamentary capacity, undue influence and where it is alleged the deceased did not know and approve the contents of their Will and has achieved many successes and settlements in these claims to the satisfaction of her clients at what is usually a very difficult and emotional time for them.
- Acting for the Claimant in respect of a claim against the Ministry of Justice in a high value and high profile public procurement claim which resulted in a large settlement in favour of the Claimant after around 18 months of litigation as well as being a reported case on the question of time limits in procurement claims.
- Professional negligence action against an IFA in connection with advice on the transfer of life policies which resulted in a large tax liability for her clients and a lost chance for better tax relief in the future. This resulted in a speedy settlement in very favourable terms to her clients.
- Acting for a charity against their licensee in respect of unpaid occupation and service charges. This included the protection of her client’s position by successfully obtaining a freezing order against the opposing party’s sole asset and ultimately a payment by the director and shareholder of the Defendant by virtue of a threatened application against them for the costs of proceedings.
- Acting in numerous matters for recruiters in the recovery of their fees for successful candidate introductions.