- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Partner London Commercial Litigation
Karim joined the firm as Partner in February 2022 in the Commercial Litigation team in London.
Karim practises as a Solicitor focussing on helping individuals and businesses with complex and high value litigation matters relating to:
- Financial Services including claims for mis-selling, interest rate hedging and unfair relationship and letter of credit claims;
- Professional Negligence in particular claims against Lawyers, Property and Finance professionals;
- Insolvency including bringing and defending bankruptcy petitions, winding-up petitions and bankruptcy annulments;
- Debt recovery and Breach of Contract claims;
- HMRC tax disputes in particular voluntary disclosure, investigations and HMRC assessment appeals;
- Company and Partnership disputes including unfair prejudice petitions;
- Construction disputes;
- Legal Costs (inter-partes and solicitor/client);
- Enforcement of court judgments including charging orders, attachment to earnings and insolvency;
- Business Interruption Insurance claims;
- Property litigation (including claims for possession, rent arrears, breaches, dilapidations, boundary disputes, service charge disputes and disrepair actions);
His practise is intentionally broad and strategically provides clients with a greater breadth of knowledge and experience to call upon (when inevitably required) during the life of any litigation matter.
Karim has a varied client base and has represented SMEs, directors/shareholders, CEOs, property developers, hoteliers, high-net-worth individuals, law firms, start-ups, entrepreneurs, insolvency practitioners, accountants, off-shore companies and high-profile individuals and sports athletes.
Karim regularly advocates in the County Court, High Court and Senior Courts Costs Office and is currently completing his full Higher Rights of Audience qualification in order to qualify as a Solicitor-Advocate with rights of audience before all courts in England & Wales.
Karim holds a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from City University, London and obtained a Distinction on the Legal Practice Course LLM at the University of Law.
He was previously at a City of London law firm based in Middle Temple for almost 10 years (4 years of which as a Partner) and was authorised by the Solicitors Regulation Authority as COLP, COFA and MLRO with overall responsibility for the risk and compliance functions at that firm. Karim was also a Training Principal and takes pride in guiding and advising the next generation of lawyers.
Karim was nominated for the Law Society – Young Lawyer of the Year in 2018 and was one of the youngest partners of a law firm in the UK at the age of 27. Karim is also an accredited Mediator in Civil and Commercial matters.
He is an occasional contributor for the Law Society and has previously been quoted in the Law Society Gazette, The Student Lawyer, New Law Journal and Litigation Futures.
Some examples of Karim’s work
- Represented £multi-million companies in mis-selling claims for IRHP, fixed rate loans & bridging loan ranging from £500,000 to £30m incl. claims for unfair relationship & deliberate concealment
- Advised various clients in respect of claims against independent Financial Advisors (IFAs) and Brokers
- Successfully acted for a company in relation to a £multi-million letter of credit claim which was not honoured by an international bank (and agreed that the bank pays 100% of the client’s legal costs).
- Successfully acted for companies and individuals in pursuing and challenging insolvency petitions and obtaining costs (often on indemnity basis)
- Successfully acted for a £multi-million company in relation to a disputed insolvency claim brought by a shareholder concerning the construction of a guarantee (both first instance and on appeal). This was a test case for the applicability of the Corporate Insolvency and Governance Act 2020 and its impact in England & Wales following the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Successfully acted for a property company in obtaining an injunction against a fraudulent tenant for trespass & criminal damage in possession proceedings
- Resolved matters for several clients in respect of claims for rent arrears, possession claims, boundary disputes and reasonableness of service charges.
- Successfully defended a substantial CGT tax assessment from HMRC in the sum of over £1m (and agreed that HMRC pays over £45,000 towards the client’s legal costs of the tax appeal)
- Acted for a company in relation whether its consultants fall under IR35 or within payroll regulation for tax purposes
- Represented several clients with appeals against HMRC assessments and claims brought by Insolvency Practitioners
- Acted for several clients and entrepreneurs in relation to tax matters with HMRC including voluntary disclosure and assessments (including resolving matters by way of HMRC’s ADR scheme).
Director, Shareholder and Partnership disputes
- Successfully resolved a substantial shareholder dispute and exit from the business following a 24-hour mediation allowing the client to start a new business and retain the shareholders core client base despite restrictive covenants
- Represented a director of a property development company in respect of a dispute with shareholders
- Acted for client in respect of a breach of contract and partnership dispute involving ownership & dissolution of assets of over 27 properties worth in excess of £5m
- Successfully acted for several clients in bringing and defending unfair prejudice petitions.
Legal costs (solicitor/client and inter-partes)
- Represented several paying & receiving parties in Detailed Assessment cost proceedings ranging from £30k to £1.3m incl. hearings
- Successfully acted for a client in relation to heavily contested issue of principle in the SCCO as to the status of interim bills rendered by a City law firm; opposing advocate was a QC and ‘guru’ of costs law
- Successfully acted in the test case for the interpretation of Damages Based Agreement funding arrangements and the applicability of the DBA regulations (in respect of which claim the Bar Standards Board intervened to assist in the claim given the impact on the case for the legal profession and has been a catalyst for the new DBA regulations).
Debt Recovery, Breach of Contract & Enforcement
- Successfully obtained a strike out order from the High Court in respect a substantial breach of contract claim between two former friends (together with an indemnity costs order including in respect of the subsequent enforcement proceedings)
- Defended a client in a High Court claim for a substantial claim for alleged misappropriation of funds & fraud
- Acted for a client in relation to a breach of contract, unjust enrichment & conversion claim in relation to a Cryptocurrency transaction
- Successfully acted for various clients in pursuing enforcement by means of charging orders, attachment to earnings and insolvency (including applications for debarring and unless orders in respect of interim orders)
- Successfully represented several clients in relation to debt recovery, breach of contact and unpaid/part-paid invoices.
- Successfully acted for several clients in enforcing foreign judgments in England & Wales.
- Successfully acted for an estate agent in relation to a substantial professional negligence claim against their former solicitors for failings in two conveyance transactions (including obtaining a significant cost order from the opponent)
- Acted for individuals in relation to a £multi-million claim against a City law firm for professional negligence and successfully defended a claim with a litigation funder
- Successfully for several clients in relation to professional negligence claims against lawyers, financial advisors and property professionals.
Business Interruption claims
- Acted for various companies in relation to £multi-million claims for losses under Business Interruption Insurance policies following the Covid-19 pandemic including claims against brokers.
What others say
Karim has been praised by clients for his attention to detail and has been described as a “great communicator, very knowledgeable and worth every penny”, “extremely efficient and highly competent” and always “sees the bigger picture” by having the commercial interests of the client in mind throughout.
Outside of work Karim enjoys cycling, football, boxing and the gym.