Licensing Law

Call 0345 872 6666

Licensing Law

Any business that relies on a licence from a council understands how important it is to get the right consent for their business. If your company requires advice on licensing, JMW Solicitors can offer expert assistance.

JMW offer a comprehensive service that covers all of the local authority licensing regimes, including alcohol licensing, late night refreshment, entertainment, gambling and taxis. Legislation and policy is constantly evolving, and we are committed to helping you stay one step ahead by offering the appropriate advice and representation at the right time.

We have many years of experience in providing a commercially-focused, diligent and pragmatic service for business clients of all sizes.

To speak to a member of our professional licensing team, call us on 0345 872 6666, or complete our online enquiry form to request a call back.

How JMW Can Help

Our professional licensing lawyers will give you the advice that you need to fulfil your business objectives while remaining legally compliant, no matter the circumstances.

We work with business owners who are:

  • Operating a bar, club, pub, cinema, theatre, restaurant or shop
  • In need of a new licence
  • Seeking a variation of an existing licence
  • Subject to a premises licence review or refusal

We provide advice and representation on:

  • Applications for premise licences, including full and minor variations, DPS and transfers, for various types of business, such as hotels, restaurants, cafes, hotels, sports clubs and night clubs
  • Negotiating conditions and modifications to licence applications in order to avoid a hearing and obtain consent
  • Both planning and licensing applications for the same premises to ensure compatibility and operational success
  • Enforcement issues with the police or licensing authorities relating to alleged breaches of licensed hours, conditions or the provision of unauthorised licensable activities (e.g. selling alcohol outside of permitted hours)
  • Temporary Event Notices (TENs)
  • Dealing with review applications and expedited reviews in court and at council hearings including the advocacy
  • The reviewing of licences that can result in revocation, suspension, or changes to times and conditions on licences and club premise certificates
  • Personal licence applications so that individuals can become a DPS and sell alcohol
  • Licensing applications that are contested for clients in cumulative impact zones
  • Closure notices and closure orders (we have obtained the withdrawal of an Order by the Council before it was dealt with by the Magistrates’ Court, which secured the client’s licence and avoided expensive litigation)
  • Licensing appeals to the Magistrates’ Court
  • The late-night levy and Early Morning Restriction Orders (EMROs)
  • Other related enforcement issues with the council, such as noise complaints and noise abatement notices

You will receive expert guidance on all the licensing, regulatory and compliance requirements that are relevant to your licence. Our expert lawyers will also offer advice on any matters raised by the various authorities examining your application or licence, including the police, fire brigade, and the various departments within the Council.

When looking to obtain a licence from a local authority, we recommend that you always seek legal assistance before proceeding. Bernard Ralph is a specialist lawyer in licensing and planning with more than 15 years of experience - read more about Bernard here.

Talk to Us

If your company requires advice on any aspect of local licensing law, call JMW Solicitors for expert guidance. Contact us on 0345 872 6666, or complete our online enquiry form to request a call back at your convenience.

Latest News
Read more
Latest Blog
Read more
Our Team
Read more