Know your rights.. Redundancy

21st January 2015 Employment

What can I claim if the Company I worked for has gone into administration and dismissed me?

  • Notice Pay
  • Redundancy Pay
  • A Protective Award (to compensate you for the company's failure to consult with you prior to making you redundant)

What is each claim worth?

  • Notice Pay One week's pay for each year you were employed (maximum 12 weeks' pay)
  • Redundancy Pay between one and one and a half weeks' pay for each year you were employed (maximum 20 weeks' pay)
  • A Protective Award up to 90 days' pay

Who can make these claims?

  • You have to be an employee to be entitled to the above claims
  • You have to have been employed for a minimum of one month to claim Notice Pay
  • You have to have been employed for a minimum of two years to claim Redundancy Pay
  • There is no minimum term of employment to claim the Protective Award
  • You can claim a Protective Award even if you cannot claim Notice Pay and Redundancy Pay
  • You do not need to be a trade Union Member to make a claim

How do I make these claims?

  • You can claim Notice Pay and Redundancy Pay by submitting an RP1 form to the Insolvency Service easy!
  • You must obtain an Employment Tribunal Judgment to claim the Protective Award don't worry we can help
  • Please note: all Employment Tribunal claim forms must be lodged with the Tribunal within three calendar months less a day from your date of dismissal

Can I still claim the Protective Award if I have already claimed Notice Pay and Redundancy?

  • Yes, absolutely!

Will I have to spend lots of money to recover the Protective Award because I have to obtain Judgment in the Employment Tribunal?

  • No - we are happy to work on a "No Win, No Fee" basis because we understand that paying for legal advice when you have been dismissed is very difficult
  • A "No Win, No Fee" agreement means we only get paid if you are successful
  • If you lose, you do not pay us a penny!

Contact JMW Solicitors for quick and clear legal advice: 0845 241 7976.


We're Social

Paul Chamberlain is a Head of Department located in Manchesterin our Employment department

View other posts by Paul Chamberlain

Let us contact you


COVID-19 Update - Our website and phone lines are operating as normal and our teams are on hand to deal with all enquiries. Meetings can be conducted via telephone and video conferencing.

View our Privacy Policy