- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Job Title: Partner
Family - Manchester
Cara has practised exclusively in Family Law since 2005, and qualified as a solicitor in 2006. She joined JMW in 2016. Although based in Manchester, Cara represents individuals from all areas of the country and abroad.
Cara specialises in complex children law and is a Resolution Accredited Specialist in Private Law Children and Child Abduction cases. She has extensive experience in:
- Contested private law proceedings regarding all aspects of a child’s upbringing;
- Extended family disputes;
- International and internal relocation applications;
- Cross-jurisdictional contact disputes and enforcement of orders;
- Contesting jurisdiction;
- Child abduction;
- Surrogacy, donation/ pre-conception and co-parenting agreements.
Cara also prepares documents and reports for use in foreign proceedings, in cases where information is needed as to facts or law in England and Wales.
Her past cases have involved issues arising in Australia, USA, Europe, Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Far East. She has frequently dealt with cases involving serious allegations of emotional, physical, psychological and/or sexual abuse, cultural and religious issues, and mental health issues, together with intractable contact disputes and significant hostility. She has undertaken many cases regarding the lawful and unlawful movement of children both within the jurisdiction and internationally. Cases of particular note include:
- Re H (Contact) 2010 ALL ER 229 – successful appeal of an interim residence order, with costs;
- Re S (Foreign Surrogacy) 2014 EWHC 2121 – Wardship application following complications arising after a foreign surrogacy arrangement;
- L v M (Stranded Spouse) 2012 EWHC 4299 - jurisdictional dispute arising from allegations of stranding;
- Re EP 2014 EWFC B136 – complex private law proceedings involving the falsification of evidence and the failure of a medical professional to follow protocol, with “gross” litigation misconduct, and costs consequences;
- Re V 2016 EWFC 58
- 2017 EWHC 2176 Fam – surrogacy - single parent application following breakdown of parental relationship
As a junior lawyer, Cara assisted on the first reported case of the use of Art. 11 of Brussels IIr to review the refusal of a foreign court to order the return of a child habitually resident in the UK – Re A (Abduction: Non-Return) 2006 EWHC 3397.
In addition to children cases, Cara also undertakes all aspects of divorce and financial remedy work, including cases with an international element and where asset-tracing is required.
Cara’s experience in this field is recognised in legal directories, where she has been cited as having a “stellar reputation”. She was listed as Chambers & Partners Associate to Watch in 2013/14, and as Star Associate in 2014/15 and 2015/16. Comments include “"I was impressed by how she works at the speed of light, will drop everything for you and puts up a good fight." (2013), and that "an excellent team player" who "has an admirable ability to cut through to the central plank of a case" with interviewees noting they “can’t speak highly enough of her.” (2015).
Cara obtained a degree in Law from Kings College London, where she was awarded the Manches Prize for Family Law in 2002, before completing her LPC at Nottingham Law School. She moved to Manchester in order train and qualify at Pannone. She regularly writes articles for the press and professional publications and is often quoted in national publications. Cara has appeared on regional and national radio and television discussing Family Law issues. She also lectures on family law.
Cara has been a member of Resolution since qualification and was on the founding committee of Young Resolution Manchester. She sat on the committee of the MYSG for 8 years and continues on the committee of the Association of Women Solicitors in Manchester. Cara participates in fundraising committees of various local charities. She also works closely with national adoption charity After Adoption, and acts as Legal Advisor to their North West adoption panel.
Make an Appointment at one of our Offices
1 Byrom St,
Tel: 0345 872 6666
100 Old Hall St,
Tel:0345 872 6666