Failure to Report or Stop After a Car Accident

Have you been accused of failing to stop after a car accident, or of failing to report an accident? Are you alleged to have been involved in an accident that you have no knowledge of? At JMW, our expert motoring solicitors are here to provide you with the legal advice and services you need after being charged with an accident offence.

With 35 years of experience and a team of motoring offence specialists behind us, we are in the perfect position to help you secure a positive outcome. Our success rate defending accident offence allegations and reducing penalties speaks for itself, so let us help you.

To contact our team of specialists and find out how we can help you, call us for free on 0800 804 8159 or complete our online enquiry form and we will get back to you as soon as we can. 

Failure to Stop After a Road Accident Explained

Drivers who have been involved in a road accident that has caused damage or personal injury have a legal duty to stop at the scene for long enough for anyone involved to ask for details. They must then provide certain information to the injured party or the owner of the damaged property.

The information that must be provided is:

  • Full name and address of the driver
  • Full name and address of the owner of the vehicle (if different to the driver)
  • Vehicle identification/registration number

It is not a legal requirement in every scenario to provide your insurance details, but it is advisable to do so. You must provide your insurance certificate if personal injury has been caused to another person and you have been asked for it by the police or anyone involved in the accident. 

Failure to Report a Road Accident Explained

If drivers fail to stop and provide information, they have a legal obligation to report the accident to the police as soon as is reasonably possible, and within 24 hours.


If it is believed the driver failed to stop and failed to report, they can be charged with both offences.

The penalties for both offences are potentially very serious and could include:

  • Up to six months' imprisonment
  • Disqualification from driving
  • A maximum £5,000 fine
  • Five to ten penalty points on your licence

Our Accident Offence Services

Whether you have been charged with failing to report an accident, failing to stop following an accident or both, we can help you either defend the allegation or reduce the potential penalty imposed by the court.

Why Choose JMW?

Since its formation over 35 years ago, JMW has developed a reputation for having one of the country’s leading motoring offence departments.

We pride ourselves on our success rate in helping our clients defend allegations or reduce the penalties imposed by the court for accident offences.

What’s more, we ensure we provide all legal advice in clear and easy-to-understand language, free of jargon, to give you the best possible chance of a positive outcome without adding to the stress you are doubtless already feeling. 

Talk to Us

To get in touch with us and find out how we can help if you have been accused of failure to stop or failure to report an accident, call 0800 804 8159 or complete our online enquiry form.

Let us contact you

View our Privacy Policy