- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Guilty and Not Guilty Plea Options in Drink Driving Cases
If you have been accused of drink driving, the expert motoring solicitors at JMW can help, regardless of whether you wish to enter a not guilty or guilty plea. We can advise you on the best route to take and give you the best chance of getting the outcome you are after.
Drink Driving Penalty Calculator
Answer the 4 questions below to get an idea of what the penalty for your motoring offence could be.
Q1. What type of test were you given?
Q2. What was your breath reading?
Q2. What was your blood alcohol level?
Q2. What was your urine alcohol level?
Q3. Have you had any conviction for drink drive related matters in the last 10 years?
Q4. Were you stopped by the police due to the manner of your driving or after being involved in an accident?
Find out more about financial penalties
We can help. Call us on 0800 804 8159
If you have been accused of drink driving but believe you are innocent, or that you have been treated unfairly, you may be in a position to challenge the prosecution. Our drink driving solicitors are here to help and there is plenty of work that can be done prior to your first appearance at court. For instance, we can help you with matters such as:
- Securing vital police evidence
- Contacting witnesses in order to obtain statements
- Liaising with and instructing experts
- Obtaining and reviewing prosecution evidence
By seeking expert legal help you can ensure you are in the best position possible to challenge an accusation that you believe to be unfair or false. The team at JMW can advise you on all options available to you and provide expert guidance throughout your case.
If you have already decided to plead guilty to a drink driving allegation, the type of penalty you face will be based on a number of factors, such as:
- Your blood, urine or breath alcohol level
- Whether or not there are any factors that aggravate the offence
- Whether you have any previous convictions for an excess alcohol offence within the last ten years
We can provide the expert assistance you need to make sure your penalty is as minimal as possible by looking into your particular circumstances in relation to each of these factors and advising you of the best course of action specific for you.
It is important to remember that if you are convicted of drink driving, not only will you have to deal with the penalty imposed by the court, you will also have to contend with the impact a drink drive conviction will have on your personal and professional life.
A drink drive conviction could result in one or more of the following:
- A fine of up to £5,000
- A driving ban of up to 12 months
- A possible custodial sentence if you are a repeat drink driving offender or have been found to be several times over the drink driving limit
- A criminal record, which may affect your ability to continue in your current job, particularly if you are a professional or work with vulnerable people
- Attendance on a rehabilitation course recommended by the courts
- A huge increase in motor insurance premiums
- Difficulties hiring a vehicle; both at home and abroad
- The possibility of undergoing a DVLA medical examination, which will determine whether you will be allowed to drive again
- Visa restrictions (in particularly, there may be difficulties in terms of entering the USA)
At JMW, we offer a ‘fixed fee’ service designed to assist you in preparing detailed and effective mitigation aimed at persuading the court to exercise leniency when imposing the penalty. Further information regarding fixed fees can be found at our Motoring Solicitor Fees page.
For most people, a court appearance is alien to them. Some people find standing before the court very difficult and quite daunting. This can sometimes impact on their ability to communicate all of the information and issues they wish to be taken into consideration by the court. JMW is here to do the talking for you.
With our fixed fee service we are able to offer the following:
- Telephone conference/personal meeting with your solicitor
- Representation at the hearing by either a partner or an expert motoring law barrister
- A full pre-hearing briefing with regard to court procedures and what to expect at court
- A conference with your legal representative on the morning of the hearing
- A full post-hearing debriefing to discuss the penalty imposed, the implications and any further options that may be available to you
Our motoring law solicitors are highly skilled and highly experienced, with a great track record in helping clients secure the outcome they are hoping for. Our involvement in a case often results in the court departing from their guidelines and can often lead to a penalty being imposed that is far less severe than the guidelines suggest.
With our guilty plea fixed fee service, you can be sure of the very best advice and representation for a price that will not spiral out of control.
Talk to us about your drink driving plea options by getting in touch today. Simply give us a call on 0800 804 8159 or complete our online enquiry form and a member of the team will call you back at a time convenient for you.