Drowning Prevention Week

24th June 2019 Personal Injury

Are you already planning your summer holiday in the UK or abroad?

The 24th June marks the end of Drowning Prevention Week. The campaign, created by the Royal Life Saving Society UK (RLSS UK) aims to raise awareness of water safety and reduce the risk of both fatal and non-fatal drowning incidences that occur in the UK.

With the summer holidays fast approaching it is extremely important that you promote water safety and teach your family how to be safe near water.

The most recent figures from the National Water Safety Forum Water Incident Database (WAID) show that in 2018, 263 people lost their lives in accidental drownings in the UK alone.

For those who are planning to travel abroad this summer, shared data collected and provided by the Foreign Office and Royal Life Saving Society UK state that 75 percent of pool incidents are attributable to a lack of supervision. The remaining 25 percent of pool related incidents are caused by diving into shallow waters and getting stuck in pool filters.

To help you and your family stay safe near water this summer you may want to consider the following:

1. Choose a pool with a barrier

2. If there is a lifeguard, stay within their view

3. Be vigilant and follow safety advice

4. Learn basic lifesaving techniques including CPR

5. If you can’t swim, use armbands

6. Beware of diving into shallow waters

The RLSS UK has tips and information as well as courses and awards designed to help you and your family stay safe. Visit www.rlss.org.uk for more information.

If you have been involved in an accident and would like to speak to a member of JMW’s accidents abroad team, get in touch by calling us on 0800 054 6570 or by filling in our online form and we will get back to you.

Endorsed by

We're Social

Lauren Scott is a Paralegal located in Manchesterin our Real Estate Commercial department

View other posts by Lauren Scott

Let us contact you


COVID-19 Update - Our website and phone lines are operating as normal and our teams are on hand to deal with all enquiries. Meetings can be conducted via telephone and video conferencing.

View our Privacy Policy