- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
JMW have a team of established Police Lawyers who have a unique and unparalleled experience in representing Police Officers throughout the United Kingdom and abroad. The team are available 24 hours a day to assist with both on and off duty incidents in order to protect Officers best interests whenever they find themselves in need of advice and assistance.
The team is made up of experienced specialist lawyers and ex-police officers, and is headed by Ian Lewis, who alone has over 25 years of experience as the sole appointed solicitor to the Police Superintendents Association and Chief Police Officers Staff Association.
Please look at our Notable Cases page for full details of some of the cases that the JMW team have been involved in.
The team offer a personalised approach to representation and are available at any time to assist officers with any legal issues and concerns that they may have.
- Criminal and misconduct investigations
- Post-incident procedures and police contact deaths
- Inquests and inquiries
- Reputational management issues
- Allegations of unlawful arrest
- Motoring defence
- Family law issues and divorce
- Personal injury
JMW also offer seminars and training sessions for Police Federations, Associations and Panel of Friends. Seminars can take place at our offices or at any other location convenient to the organisation and attendees. Please contact us for further information.
JMW’s Police Lawyers have an experienced team and are used to dealing with high and low profile cases alike.
The team are currently representing the Match Commander involved in the Hillsborough tragedy, together with other senior figures included in the criminal proceedings before the Crown Court.
Other key cases where the team have advised and represented Police Officers can be seen below:
- Stephen Lawrence / MacPherson
- Victoria Climbie
- Jersey Care
- Daniel Morgan
- Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al-Fayed
- Misconduct in Public Office
- Perverting the Course of Justice
- Officers accused of assault / use of excessive force
- Inappropriate Sexual behaviour ranging from Historic and Present Serious Sexual Offences to Harassment
What we can do for you
For all officers who are subject to an investigation whether it be criminal or misconduct, it can obviously be one of the most stressful experiences. It is not uncommon to feel resentment to a service that you have been committed and proud of for some times up to 30 years. We are aware of those concerns and whilst not acting as Welfare, asre conscious of those concerns and do everything we can to ensure that the integrity of the officer is protected at all times. We cannot pretend to be able to wave a magic wand and/or to be able to direct the investigation but what we can guarantee is that any officer subject to such instigation will be treated with dignity, professionalism and respect throughout.
For officers of all ranks, the publicity of proceedings can only lead to further stress and resentment. We have had years of experience in reputational management issues, and provide leading advice on how best to manage publicity and or counter potential abuses that may result from it.
JMW aim to help guide officers through criminal and misconduct proceedings. We offer:
- Pre-Interview advice
- Advice in respect of challenging restrictions/suspensions
- Attendance at Interviews under caution for potential criminal and misconduct proceedings
- Advice upon service of regulation notices
- Advice and representation at Misconduct Tribunals
- Advice on Appeals
- Advice and assistance at Post Incident Procedures
- Advice and assistance at Inquiries and Inquests
- 24 hour helpline