- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) Advice
Are you a resident in England or Wales with unsecured debts on credit cards and personal loans worth more than £20,000? If so, an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) might offer you the chance you need to address your financial difficulties.
At JMW, our specialist solicitors have years of experience offering IVA advice to people, helping them towards better debt management skills.
To find out more about IVAs, get in touch with our team of nationally renowned experts today. We'll be happy to discuss your circumstances with you as well as provide the information you need to start to get your finances under control. Call 0345 872 6666 or fill in our online enquiry form.
What is an IVA
An IVA is a legally-binding agreement between the person in debt and their creditors, designed to help the debtor pay off the money they owe with fixed, monthly payments over a period of around five years.
- Conditions of eligibility include:
- Minimum of £20,000 unsecured debt (e.g. credit cards, personal loans)
- Money owed to three or more creditors
- Being resident in England or Wales
- Being employed, or self-employed, dependent upon other assets
How IVAs Possibly Differ from Bankruptcy
An IVA is different from bankruptcy in a number of ways.
- Stop all interest on the debt
- Do not stop you from being a director of a company
- Do not require court action
- Carry less social stigma than bankruptcy