- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Charity Law Solicitors
If you want to set up a charity, foundation or charitable trust, the solicitors at JMW will use their expertise to ensure that every aspect of the legal process is handled quickly and efficiently.
We also provide specialist legal advice for charities that are already established, such as helping with the day-to-day management of the organisation, dealing with the transfer of assets, or a restructuring.
The benefits of setting up a charity or a charitable trust include being able to:
- Support your chosen cause
- Leave a lasting legacy
- Obtain tax relief
How JMW Can Help
Our lawyers are experienced in all areas of charity law, and will use their broad range of knowledge to provide you with detailed legal guidance on:
- Forming, registering and maintaining a charity
- Advising on the day-to-day management of a charity, foundation or charitable trust
- Sale, purchase or transfer of property
- Changes to your governing documents
- Dealing with the Charity Commission
- Complying with the Charities Act
We are highly recommended by charity websites as experts in the creation of charitable trusts. Our clients include business leaders, entrepreneurs, sports and media personalities, landowners and medical professionals, who trust us to provide straightforward and effective legal advice, as well as local and national charities.
How to Create a New Charity
If you are interested in forming a new charity, you will need to ensure your organisation meets the following criteria:
- There must be a governing document setting out how the charity will be run
- The charity must anticipate a gross annual income of £5,000 or more
- The charity must only be involved with ‘charitable work’ that will provide public benefit
- The charity must have clear aims and objectives
Fulfilling the above parameters will allow you to register with the Charity Commission, ensuring you benefit from the significant Income Tax, Capital Gains Tax, Corporation Tax and Inheritance Tax (IHT) reliefs the government permits to charitable organisations.
Talk to Us
To find out more about creating a new charity, or if you are looking for legal expertise in other areas of charity law, contact our highly-skilled lawyers today for straightforward and effective advice. Call us on 0333 872 6666 or fill in our online enquiry form.