- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Partner Manchester Business Crime & Regulation
- North West Fraud Forum
- Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
Private Client Defence and Regulation
Evan is a partner in the Business Crime and Regulation team. He qualified as a solicitor in 1997 after working for five years as a clerk in the defence and prosecution of serious fraud cases.
The legal directory Legal 500 comments that 'The "careful and thorough" Evan Wright is recommended for complex financial crime work'. Most recently, Evan has been listed as a recommended lawyer in the Legal 500 UK and has been described as ‘superb; always goes that extra mile for his clients and is always well prepared.
Evan has been instructed to defend in a great many serious fraud, restraint, asset recovery and confiscation cases in the UK and abroad.
He is highly regarded by forensic accountants who have described him as ‘having a rare ability to grasp the central issue when faced with complicated scenarios’. He has represented clients in many of the largest cases prosecuted in the North West and some of the largest cases nationally. These include matters brought by HM Revenue and Customs, The Crown Prosecution Service, The Serious and Organised Crime Agency, The DTI / DBIS / BEIS, MHRA and Border Agency.
Evan’s skill in large investigations has seen him instructed in complex SRA investigations and prosecutions before the SDT. His portfolio of corporate regulatory matters includes £multi-million cases before the 1st Tier Tribunal and serious FCA investigations, together with investigations leading to proceedings before the GphC and other clinical panels.
Evan presents seminars to other solicitors and barristers on Corporate Defence topics. He is a member of the Fraud Forum and was appointed as a specialist fraud panel supervisor in 2004. He has featured in BBC radio, TV and national press coverage commenting on regulatory issues. Most recently Evan has been interviewed by CEO Europe on fraud related topics (watch the interview).
Evan was very professional and knows his stuff. Top quality”
Evan represents professional and commercial clients before regulatory panels and in the related courts. He is highly regarded for his detailed preparation and understanding of issues faced by clients who are alleged to have breached professional standards and regulations. Clients include solicitors, medical practitioners, politicians, accountants, architects, senior directors and sports professionals. Click HERE for our SRA / SDT pages and HERE for our Healthcare Regulatory pages.
- Representing six companies in an HMRC investigation into an alleged loss of £16 million.
- Successful challenge of twenty eight HMRC search warrants and resulting complex S59 applications.
- Applications for Judicial Review against decisions made by HMRC, Police and Government.
- Advising off-shore companies in relation to dawn raids.
- Police and HMRC investigation into large network of bullion dealers.
- Multiple applications for discharge and variation of restraint orders.
- Multiple tax appeals on behalf of clients seeking Enterprise Investment Scheme tax relief.
- Defending accountants against Schedule 38 'Dishonest tax agent' allegations.
- Defending directors in £multi-million VAT appeals at the 1st tier Tribunal.
- Advising an off-shore company regarding an HMRC investigation into Employee Benefit Trust structures.
Professional Regulatory Defence
- Defence of SDT Prosecution of a firm alleged to have permitted an agency to carry out regulated work without due supervision.
- Advising a group of pharmacies in MHRA and GPhC investigations into serious breaches of licence.
- Advising a Local Authority solicitor in a large police investigation into property development.
- A CQC investigation into clinical services offered by a well-known TV celebrity.
- Defence of SDT prosecution of solicitors following the collapse of a £50 million London development project.
- Defending multiple solicitors at the SDT in accounts rules prosecutions.
- Defending an off-shore company in an FCA investigation into alleged breaches of S19 and 21 FSMA
- Doctor involved in a corporate manslaughter investigation following a death in custody.
- SRA prosecutions of alleged breaches of the referral fee ban
- General Dental Council (GDC) public enquiry: performance and conduct
- Multi-million pound importation of pharmaceuticals from China in contravention of licence
- FSA / CPS investigation in to a bank's Impaired Assets Division, quoting loss of over £200 million’
- Eight defendant £35 million finance fraud
- Twelve defendant fraud upon a Local Authority involving loss to the public purse of £1,000,000.00
- Specialist fraud investigation into multiple film production companies.
- Representing liquidators and off-shore trusts in the release of £millions in seized cash and securities.
- Representing senior politicians and officers in an investigation into Local Authority corruption.
- National Crime Agency (NCA) civil asset recovery (Part 5 POCA) applications
- Multiple interventions in confiscation proceedings to secure the release of third party funds on behalf of lenders, victims etc.
- Specialist fraud division investigation of fuel suppliers, alleging £multi-million losses.
- Extradition of defendants from the EU to face contempt of court and confiscation enforcement proceedings.
- Advising liquidators / administrators / off-shore companies in POCA asset recovery proceedings.
- Representing third parties in S10A POCA ‘interested person’ interventions.
- Representing corporate claimants in applications for compensation in POCA confiscation proceedings.
Reason for Joining JMW
“Although I deal with niche areas of law, it is important for me to work with a firm offering a full service to clients because I often find that I need to draw upon skills from other departments. This is particularly the case where I am instructed in matters requiring assistance outside the jurisdiction or where clients need associated services in asset recovery or investigation. JMW is a forward thinking firm and is not afraid of innovation as part of achieving the client’s objectives.”
Evan can accept instructions from individuals and corporate clients in privately and publicly funded cases at disciplinary and regulatory panels, as well as the Magistrates and Higher Courts, including the ECHR.