- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
If you or your business have been accused of forging documents, the specialist solicitors at JMW can help you build a robust, successful defence. Forgery is a serious offence that can carry with it a prison sentence and heavy fines; seeking the right legal representation is therefore imperative.
We are able to provide expert legal help and assistance on all types of forgery in the business world. Serious forgery in business usually refers to the faking of specific documents, from passports and land registration documents to juridical documents.
The forgery of certain documents is often dealt with by specific pieces of legislation. For instance:
- Forgery of birth, marriage and death documents - covered by section 7 of non-parochial Registers Act 1840 and sections 36 and 37 of Forgery Act 1861
- Passport forgery - covered by section 36 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984
- Forgery of judicial documents - covered by section 133 of the County Courts Act 1984
- Forgery of statutes and executive documents - covered by a number of sections of the Evidence Act 1845 and the Documentary Evidence Act 1882
- Forgery of road traffic documents/driving licences - covered by section 173 of the Road Traffic Act 1973 and section 44 of the Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994
Other acts that deal with the forgery of official documents include the Identity Cards Act 2006, the Identity Documents Act 2010 and the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981.
We have extensive knowledge and a deep understanding of all related legislature and will use our expertise in this area to help you build the best possible defence.
Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
Under section 31 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999, there is protection for those travelling on false documents in order to seek asylum. The defence applies to offences committed under acts including the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981 and the Identity Documents Act 2010.
If you own a business or employ staff and you are being investigated over their eligibility to reside in the UK, we can help.
Why Choose JMW?
At JMW, we have years of experience in helping individuals and businesses to successfully defend against forgery allegations and have taken on forgery cases of all kinds. We can help you build the strongest possible defence to give you the best chance of securing the outcome you are after.
We have defended those accused of forging documents and those inadvertently involved in comprehensive document fraud schemes, as well as those who have been charged with being in possession of faked documents. No matter what situation you are in, we can help.
Partner and Head of Department
Business Crime, Regulation & Driving Offences