Misdiagnosis or Delayed Diagnosis Case Studies

Read our case studies on successful medical negligence cases where we have claimed compensation for people who have been affected by a delayed diagnosis. If you have suffered from clinical negligence which has resulted in a delayed diagnosis, then we can help you. 

Contact JMW Solicitors by calling 03445 872 6666 or complete our online enquiry form and we will be in touch. 

Eddie Jones, head of clinical negligence at JMW, secured £1.1 million for the widow of a man who died after a misdiagnosis by doctors. Although nothing could make up for Sarah's loss, the compensation helped her to cope with some of the financial difficulties her husband's death caused her.

Bryony Doyle, a specialist medical negligence solicitor at JMW, secured £125,000 for a woman who suffered a bowel perforation after a tumour in her colon was not identified.

Bryony Doyle, a specialist medical negligence solicitor at JMW, helped a woman who suffered a significant injury to her bowel during infertility investigations, which went undiagnosed and untreated, to secure £126,000 in compensation.

Case study of our client Michelle who JMW successfully represented.

Caroline's series of errors resulted in delayed treatment of cancer.

Failure to properly investigate and treat suspected Cauda Equina Syndrome has resulted in a woman receiving £4.37 million compensation.

Gary was left permanently disabled and reliant on a wheelchair after a hospital failed to ensure a spinal condition was treated in time. Eddie Jones secured £1.7 million in compensation to help Gary secure care and financial security.

Spinal injury specialists at JMW obtained £2.75 million in compensation for Jean after appalling errors led to her suffering permanent cauda equina syndrome. This case study tells Jean's story.

Pauline tragically died after appalling errors meant her breast cancer went undiagnosed. Although nothing could make up their loss, JMW's Sally Leonards secured Pauline's family £300,000 in compensation for their pain and suffering.

Betty 77 lost her mobility and dignity in the final months of her life after doctors failed to diagnose a hip fracture. Tragically she died from cancer before her claim was concluded but JMW's Sophie Fox was successful in obtaining £18,500 in compensation for her family.

A hospital doctor failed to diagnose tendon damage in Steven’s hand after he fell and injured himself at work. As a result he did not receive appropriate treatment and was left with permanent pain, stiffness and reduced grip strength. Steven’s case was taken on by Nick Young and he was awarded £30,000 in compensation.

Nick lost the ability to work after hospital doctors failed to notice he had broken his collar bone. This was despite the break being present on an X-Ray and Nick being in an extreme amount of pain. Nick’s case was taken on by Melissa Gardner and he was later awarded £400,000 in compensation.

Lauren was left with a deformed and painful knee after doctors failed to diagnose a fracture she had sustained in an accident. Her case was taken on by Melissa Gardner, who was successful in obtaining £130,000 in compensation for Lauren.

Mary, 31, was left with on-going pain and restricted movement after a delay in diagnosing a scaphoid fracture. Her case was taken on by JMW and she was awarded £80,000 in compensation.

Eddie Jones, head of medical negligence at JMW, secured £2.6 million for a woman whose life was devastated by negligent cauda equina syndrome care.

Doctors did not check Helen's hips properly when she was a baby leading to developmental dysplasia and life-long problems. Olivia Scates, a partner in JMW's specialist clinical negligence team obtained her £300,000 in compensation.

Michelle was left with a permanent brain injury after she suffered a major stroke that her family believe could have been prevented with better care. JMW Solicitors obtained a six-figure compensation settlement.

Case study about a baby who suffered problems due to a poor standard of care for her dislocated hips

Case study of a man who lost his voice because his ear, nose and throat care did not detect that he had cancer.

Ann-Marie experienced severe headaches which were misdiagnosed at A&E. JMW won £150,000 for her family.

Violet won £400,000 in compensation after she was left with severe brain damage when doctors failed to diagnose her sub-arachnoid haemorrhage.

Samantha was playing football when the ball struck her right hand forcing it backwards resulting in a hyperextension injury of the wrist. She had just started her university degree.

When Linda was 42 years old she found a small lump in her left breast and was referred to hospital. The lump was removed and found to be a fibroadenoma (non cancerous).

Andy came off his bike and sustained a fractured left clavicle (collar bone). It was treated conservatively with a sling and pain killers and appeared to heal well.

Mandy was performing gymnastics with she fell on to her left arm (she was right handed). She heard a crack when she fell and was sure she had broken it. Her parents took her to A&E where an x-ray was taken.

Carol fell down the stairs at home and injured her foot one morning. After two days the foot was still painful so she attended the local A&E department. She told Doctors that she had osteoporosis and they took an x-ray of the foot but no injury was found.

Carol fell down the stairs at home and injured her foot one morning. After two days the foot was still painful so she attended the local A&E department. She told Doctors that she had osteoporosis and they took an x-ray of the foot but no injury was found.

Glenda presented at A&E with head and neck pain, which she had suffered from for a couple of hours. She had taken two Paracetemol but with no relief. She felt nauseous but had not vomited.

Colin was taken to his local hospital when he began to experience a sudden severe pain in the head, immediately followed by vomiting. He was transferred straight away to a larger centre for a CT scan, as a sub-arachnoid haemorrhage (SAH) was suspected.

Jim fell down his stairs early one morning. He landed with his left leg outstretched and his right leg bent underneath him. He felt immediate pain in his left knee and hip.

Len was a life-long cigar smoker. He also worked in a very dusty environment and from the age of 50 suffered from asthma and frequently recurring chest infections, particularly in the winter.

When Julie fell at home she injured her left ankle and therefore attended A+E at her local hospital. The ankle was very painful and however once an x-ray was taken a physician assistant could see no evidence of a fracture.

When Phil was 49 years old he was referred to North Manchester General Hospital by his GP for investigation into problems he was having with deafness and balance.

Jack has Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) diagnosed early in his life, for which he was treated with oral steroid medication. When he was 43 years old, Jack presented at clinic with swelling of his left testicle.

Kathryn was 12 years old when she was knocked down by a car, injuring her right shoulder. She was taken to the A+E Department at Burnley General Hospital. An X-ray showed that Kathryn had suffered a displaced fracture of the neck of the right humerus.

Stuart was working as a Prison Officer when he fell playing football and injured his right wrist. He attended his local A+E Department that day where a series of X-rays, which did not include scaphoid views, were taken. The X-rays were reviewed by a Consultant Radiologist who failed to find an injury.

Lynda had been otherwise well before she first attended her GP suffering from shortness of breath, with palpitations. She had a chest X-ray and ECG but no abnormalities were detected.

Glenice, a Lollypop lady, attended her GP when she noticed a lump in her right breast. She had previously had a benign breast lump removed. Other than, she was generally fit and well. She was referred to hospital and seen 4 weeks later. Glenice recalls having a mammogram and the doctor then suggested an ultrasound scan of the breast and a core biopsy.

When Jane was 42 years old she noticed a lump in her left breast. She was seen by her GP who referred her to her local Hospital.

Let us contact you


COVID-19 Update - Our website and phone lines are operating as normal and our teams are on hand to deal with all enquiries. Meetings can be conducted via telephone and video conferencing.

View our Privacy Policy

Areas of Interest