- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Weight Loss Surgery Clinical Negligence
If mistakes made during weight loss surgery have resulted in your suffering you may be in a position to make a claim. At JMW, our specialist solicitors have years of experience successfully recovering compensation in such cases, helping to get the lives of victims back on track. We will provide guidance throughout the process of suing the NHS or a private practitioner to make sure you get the outcome you deserve.
Speak to us about your weight loss surgery negligence claim today and we will talk you through what you can expect and answer any questions you may have. Call us on 0800 054 6512 or complete our online enquiry form and we will call you back as soon as we can. We handle cases on a no win, no fee basis.
Weight loss surgery is a procedure carried out by medical experts to help people - usually those who are morbidly obese and whose condition is seriously placing their health at risk - lose a significant amount of weight. The surgery is often seen as a last resort after other forms of treatment have proven unsuccessful and is usually only carried out for clinical, not cosmetic, reasons.
Many patients find this type of surgery to be very effective, yet mistakes can and do happen, and the consequences can be very serious. The surgery carries various risks and there can be many complications involved. It is also not unknown for medical professionals to perform negligent or unwarranted surgery.
If you have undergone weight loss surgery and believe negligent treatment resulted in your further suffering, or if you were not informed of any potential weight loss surgery complications beforehand, you may be in a position to make a claim for compensation.
We handle a wide variety of weight loss surgery clinical cases, offering legal advice and guidance to people with a whole host of medical issues.
The different types of weight loss surgery available include:
- Gastric band surgery - This involves a constricting ring being placed around the stomach
- Sleeve gastrectomy - This involves the removal of most of the stomach, with only a sleeve-shaped cylinder of stomach remaining
- Gastric bypass - This involves the digestive system being re-routed past most of the stomach
- Gastric balloon - This involves a silicone balloon being inflated in the stomach
- Liposuction - This involves the removal of unwanted body fat where deposits of fat tend to collect
If you think you may have been a victim of negligence by a medical professional before, during or after weight loss surgery, you could be entitled to compensation.
However, it is vitally important to enlist the help of an experienced law firm such as JMW to help build a watertight case by carrying out extensive investigations. This will drastically improve your chances of getting the compensation you deserve.
The obvious benefit of weight loss surgery is that it leads to a significant loss of weight. However, it can also result in:
- Other health conditions being improved, such as heart disease and diabetes
- The risk of heart attacks and strokes being reduced
- Better general wellbeing
- Improved confidence
You should only be considered for weight loss surgery if you have a body mass index of 40 or more, or of 35 to 40 if you have a serious health condition that could be improved, such as high blood pressure or diabetes.
The surgery is usually only ever provided on the NHS when certain conditions are met or agreed to. These include:
- You have tried all other forms of non-surgical treatment, including improvements in diet and exercise, but this has not resulted in a beneficial level of weight loss being achieved for six months or more
- You are healthy enough to undergo the surgery
- You agree to certain long-term follow-up treatments after your surgery
The surgery is not normally recommended if you have a serious illness, such as liver disease or cancer, and undergoing the surgery would not improve it.
Our expert solicitors understand that making a weight loss surgery claim may seem a daunting prospect but we are here to guide you throughout the process, providing the highest level of support at every stage.
We are here to do all of the hard work so that the process is as stress-free as possible for you. We know that you have been through a lot, which is why we always take a professional and sympathetic approach to every case we take on.
The clinical negligence team at JMW is highly regarded throughout the UK. It includes members of the Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA) solicitors panel and the Law Society's specialist panel for clinical negligence.