- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Product Safety & Recall - Trading Standards Representation
JMW provides expert advice and representation to businesses and individuals that are the subject of a Trading Standards investigation regarding product safety and product recalls. We can also help to ensure you adhere to all relevant regulations in this particularly complex area.
It is important for any business facing a Trading Standards investigation into the safety of their products to have an opportunity to defend against the charges because it can otherwise have a very damaging impact.
We can provide the support you need that allows you to keep your business succeeding at such a challenging time. This is vital because if Trading Standards officers are concerned about the safety of your products, they can buy or seize goods to check their safety, including entering your premises to make an assessment.
Should your products be deemed unsafe, Trading Standards officers can:
- Prevent you from selling them
- Go to court and request that the products are destroyed
- Demand that an unsafe product is recalled
- Take legal action against you, which could lead to you being fined or even imprisoned
We can help you to successfully defend against allegations of any wrongdoing regarding product safety or failure to recall faulty products by helping you prove one of the following:
- You did not supply the product
- You could not have reasonably been expected to know of the safety fault
- Following other safety laws meant that this fault was inevitable
- The fault was caused after you supplied the product
- The product was not supplied as a business transaction (such as a private gift)
- You only made the components, and it can be proven that the fault was caused by the manufacturer who assembled the product
Our team can also help with various other aspects of an investigation, including preparing written statements on your behalf, negotiating with regulators, attending interviews or meetings to represent your best interests and taking the necessary action to prevent investigations escalating to civil or criminal proceedings.
Why Choose JMW?
Our Trading Standards team is renowned for its experience and skill and we are widely regarded as one of the leading departments in the North West for this particularly challenging area of law. We have helped many businesses secure a favourable outcome after being pursued by Trading Standards, including matters relating to the issues of product safety and the recalling of products deemed to be unsafe.
We understand how difficult it can be to face a Trading Standards investigation, and how damaging it can be if the outcome of this action is unfavourable for you and your business. It is therefore imperative that you have access to an experienced legal team to fight the allegations and secure a result that allows you to move your business forward.
If you are the subject of a Trading Standards investigation into product safety and product recall, we can offer you a free initial consultation, as we do for all Trading Standards cases brought to us.