- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Trading Standards Investigations
If your business or you as an individual face a Trading Standards investigation or prosecution, you will require expert legal representation at what can be a particularly distressing time. JMW specialises in this complex area of law and we understand how disruptive such an investigation can be, both personally and professionally. We are vastly experienced in both helping clients facing Trading Standards prosecutions and ensuring businesses comply with all necessary regulations.
We provide expert legal services and advice to deal with all matters relating to Trading Standards investigations, including:
- Preventing, where possible, investigations escalating to civil or criminal proceedings by providing practical advice and negotiating early outcomes with the regulator
- Attending interviews or meetings where your business is being challenged to represent your interests and ensure the interview is conducted in a fair manner
- Preparing written statements on your behalf
- Defending you throughout the investigative stage
- Seeking to avoid prosecution by negotiating with regulators on your behalf to find a flexible solution that is best for your business
- Where prosecutions have already commenced, we have extensive experience in defending Magistrates and Crown Court proceedings
Areas We Cover
If a regulatory body believes your company is in breach of regulations, it can bring a prosecution against you through Trading Standards. Various regulatory bodies can bring such prosecutions, including - but not restricted to - the following:
- A local authority
- The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
- The Ministry of Justice (MOJ)
- The Environment Agency
- The Foods Standards Agency
- The Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
We have great experience in assisting businesses and individuals involved in many different types of action by various Trading Standards authorities, and advise in relation to an extensive range of related matters, including:
- Counterfeit goods
- Product safety and product recall
- Consumer protection legislation
- Sale and supply of restricted products
- Copyright and trade descriptions
We also advise on:
- Production orders
- Search and seizure
- Raids on businesses
- Livestock monitoring
- and movement
- Trademark breach
- Food safety and labelling
- Test certificates
- The Enterprise Act
- Consumer credit
- Compliance advice
- Financial investigation
- Reputation protection
- Settlement negotiation
- Product launches and contract reviews
- Advertising practices
- Due diligence
Why Choose JMW?
JMW is one of the north west's leading law firms in Trading Standards cases, with renowned solicitors who specialise in this area. We have extensive experience in representing both individuals and businesses at every stage of a Trading Standards matter.
Mike Rainford, a partner within our Business Crime & Regulation team, has over 35 years' experience in Trading Standards, serious crime, fraud and regulatory law.Mike has been involved in a number of very high-profile cases, including his successful representation of major kitchen supplier Vance Miller, who was prosecuted by Trading Standards, who claimed he was responsible for large-scale misrepresentation and fraud. This was the largest such prosecution in the UK to date. Mike's exemplary defence work demonstrated to the judge that the prosecution should not have been brought to begin with.
Derek Millard-Smith, a partner within our experienced Trading Standards team, is a member of the Chartered Trading Standards Institute and the only defence solicitor member in its 122 year history.The contacts and insight that Derek's membership provides ensures we can secure the very best, most unique outcomes for clients. Derek is also an editor of Trading Standards Law and Practice, as well as the approved panel solicitor for all British Parking Association members, guaranteeing unrivalled and up-to-date knowledge in the complex area of consumer law.
We appreciate the potentially critical impact that action by Trading Standards may have. We therefore seek to act as early as possible to protect your reputation and to minimise profit loss, and seek to prevent disruption to your business and any unwanted media attention.
We also understand that avoiding action by Trading Standards is the best outcome for your business. We can therefore provide compliance advice to ensure your business remains up to date on evolving areas of Trading Standards regulations, allowing you to focus on maximising business profits and protecting your business from the outset.