- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
£52,000 - £88,000
£20,000 - £52,000
£7,000 - £20,000
£3,400 - £7,000
Post-traumatic stress disorder, often shortened to PTSD, is a psychiatric disorder that can occur after experiencing something extremely stressful and upsetting. Car accidents, assaults and witnessing a horrific event are all known to cause PTSD. Those in the police, fire brigade, ambulance service or armed forces have an increased likelihood of being exposed to stressful conditions and experiences that may leave them vulnerable to the condition.
Effects of PTSD
Most people can recover from the effects of PTSD without help, however, not all the symptoms are immediately apparent. Symptoms of PTSD, which can last several months or even years, vary from person to person, but there are three main types that a victim of the illness may experience:
- Intrusive - When the sufferer relives the traumatic event over and over again through emotional and physical sensation. Intrusive symptoms can take the form of flashbacks or nightmares
- Avoidant - When the sufferer avoids reliving the experience by becoming distracted. They typically avoid people and places that remind them of the trauma and become emotionally numb to avoid dealing with the pain
- Hyperarousal - When the sufferer feels in a constant state of alert, preventing them from being able to relax or sleep, and making them nervous and irritable
It is important to seek help with PTSD as soon as the symptoms become apparent.
How Compensation Could Help You
Compensation for PTSD will take into account the effect the condition has had on your ability to cope with life, work and family, as well as the predicted success of treatment, future vulnerability and prognosis. It can also be used to pay for treatments that may not be available to you on the NHS, including:
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Group therapy
- Medication, such as antidepressants
The compensation figures provided in this calculator are average compensation amounts. For a more accurate estimate of how much your PTSD claim may be worth, contact JMW today.