Family Law Solicitors
One of the country’s largest and most respected family law departments is ready to help you. Recognised by the leading legal directories, including the Legal 500, our solicitors offer pragmatic, empathetic advice across the spread of family law services.
Our family law experts are based in offices in Manchester, Liverpool and London; we can assist you wherever you are in the country.
JMW’s Manchester family team is led by Michael Chapman and Elspeth Kinder. Known for achieving excellent results for our clients, the team work hard to hold onto this reputation by really looking after each of our clients and ensuring they have all the necessary resources at their disposal.
Our London family team is led by Michael Rowlands, who has more than 30 years of experience in family law. Michael is supported by a team of experienced family law experts and divorce solicitors.
Our Liverpool family team is headed by Beverley Jones. Beverley and her team set up the Liverpool office 5 years ago and have quickly gained a reputation for providing first class family law advice in the Liverpool city region and beyond.
Legal Support for You and Your Family
Family legal issues can arise from disagreements on child arrangements, relationship breakdowns, domestic violence and many other areas that can be legally complicated. Our specialist family lawyers help to demystify the legalities of the family law system and will help you navigate complex family law issues. We will break down every aspect of your case, explain the process in simple, jargon-free terms and give you clear and strategic advice on what to do next.
Our family solicitors focus on developing a strong strategy from the outset, making full use of our extensive expertise. Our national reach and positive foreign relations mean we are well placed to help from all over the country and deal with cases with an international element.
Our clients come from all walks of life and we are committed to providing each with a cost-effective, personalised service.
The greatest asset of our team is our depth and breadth of expertise. Examples of cases we frequently deal with include, but are not limited to:
- Adoption law - we can advise on the options for extending your family through adoption, gamete donation, surrogacy and co-parenting
- Co-parenting - provide the support and guidance you need in relation to any matter concerning co-parenting
- Legal parenthood - our expert solicitors can offer advice on how to approach the process of legal parenthood and ensure that all of the required documentation is accounted for
- Divorce - we can help to keep the divorce process as swift and straightforward as possible for you and ensure that any divorce application is completed with skill and sensitivity
- Financial settlements - we can advise on your entitlement to a financial settlement and help to explain what financial settlement you might receive
- Child arrangements - legal matters involving children range putting in place appropriate contact arrangements to defending applications to remove a child from the country to prevent your family from being separated. We will work with you to preserve your relationship with your child and advise on how to best navigate the stress of having your relationship with a child put at risk. We work with parents and family members who may hold parental responsibility
- Cases with an international element - with our deep knowledge of UK law, we can work in conjunction with clients from abroad to ensure they have the best chances of success when dealing with any international family law legal process. We have connections with specialists in EU law, US law and laws from countries further abroad
- Surrogacy and fertility law advice - if you are planning to expand your family through adoption or an alternative method of conceiving a child, our specialist family solicitors will help you to navigate the legalities of such and ensure you understand what your responsibilities are
- Prenuptial and pre-partnership agreements - our team will help you to draw up a fair prenuptial agreement that secures your assets and property in the event of a divorce
- Offshore assets - financial assets stored offshore can complicate financial settlements. We will help you to understand your legal responsibilities regarding such assets. We can also help those looking to prove that their partner holds offshore assets and have them included in a settlement agreement
- Unmarried/cohabiting families - we will help unmarried couples or families living together to understand how they can protect themselves legally in the event of a death or separation
- Cohabitation agreements - signing a cohabitation agreement is a way to ensure the safety of your assets in the event of a family dispute. We can help those cohabiting couples to understand the legal requirements of such an agreement and guide them through the process
- Civil partnerships - we can help clients whose civil partnerships break down and advise them on the financial settlements they are entitled to
- Injunctions - we help those suffering from domestic abuse or harassment to apply for an injunction and restrain a family member’s ability to contact them
- Non-court dispute resolution - we regularly recommend that our clients try to resolve matters without going to court. If you are in a situation where a dispute has arisen, we will attempt to resolve the matter through mediation and discussion
For those who need lawyers for family court issues, JMW’s team is ready to help.
FAQs About Family Law Solicitors
What is a family lawyer?
A family lawyer - or family solicitor - is a legal professional who has a deep understanding of family law and who can help you with any legal issues you may have that fall under family law.
Family law issues can affect financial security or relationships, and the professional family law team at JMW works to help families use the law to support their needs. For example, a family lawyer may help a family member to become more connected with their family by applying for a court order that allows them to formalise contact arrangements for their children. Or, a family lawyer may guide a couple through the process of divorce.
Do I need a solicitor for family court?
While you are not required by law to have a legal representative in court and can represent yourself, it is advisable to seek the expertise of a family law solicitor. Family law cases are highly complex matters and can have far-reaching repercussions in terms of financial cost and effects on your family. By seeking family law advice, you can be confident that you have a professional in your corner who will be supporting you through what can be a stressful time as well as using their extensive experience to navigate the legal process and meet your objectives.