Fatal Accident Abroad Claims

If you have lost a family member in a fatal accident while abroad, we appreciate what a distressing time it will be. Our team will help you to make a claim for compensation by providing comprehensive yet easy-to-understand advice throughout the process, allowing you to focus on what’s important.

We have extensive experience in helping family members whose relative has died while in another country. This means we understand what needs to be done to get the best possible result for you. 

To speak to a member of JMW’s accidents abroad team, get in touch by calling us on 0800 054 6570 or by filling in our online enquiry form and we will get back to you.

What Our Clients Say

How JMW Can Help

When you lose a loved one in an accident that took place while they were overseas, it is naturally going to be a devastating time and you and your family will clearly prefer to be supported by a sensitive, empathetic team who will do their utmost to get you the answers to which you are entitled. After a fatality on foreign soil occurs, it can be very difficult to find out what happened and obtain answers about where the fault lies. Seeking these answers can form part of the grieving process and we have experience of helping families in this situation.

Ultimately, nothing will ever make up for the loss of a loved one, but by finding out some answers, we hope to bring you some peace of mind that may help you to move on with your life. We know that dealing with the death of a loved one is a traumatic experience and everyone on our team will work diligently to ensure that your needs are met in a sensitive, caring and empathetic manner. 

A UK inquest will normally take place following a death overseas, and expert legal representation at an inquest can be of enormous benefit. However, it may be many months after the death before an inquest takes place. In the meantime, we can help by using our legal contacts abroad to provide assistance with various matters, including representing you in any local criminal processes, helping you access local police reports and obtaining copies of evidence. 

A civil claim for compensation is often possible following a death overseas. Although naturally not the first subject that you will consider following the death of a loved one, making sure that your family’s finances are appropriately taken care of is very important.  Financial compensation is often key when it comes to helping you to rebuild your family and support you for the future, and we can help guide you through the compensation process. We have helped family members recover damages following:

  • Road traffic accidents abroad
  • Accidents on a cruise ship
  • Aviation incidents
  • Skiing holiday accidents

In many cases, a civil claim can be pursued in the UK through English or Welsh courts. We will make the process as stress-free as possible so you can focus on grieving the loss of a family member. Compensation sought as a result of an accident that was caused by somebody else’s negligence can be used to cover various expenses, including funeral costs, loss of earnings, and the pain and suffering experienced as a result of the accident.


  1. Will there be an investigation following a death overseas?

    In most cases, there will be an investigation by the local police and/or authorities if a death occurs overseas. In many countries, a judge is appointed to lead the investigation, and it may be that criminal proceedings take place relating to a death following an accident. Therefore, it is important you seek specialist legal advice at this point to ensure you understand the process, and so that your rights to pursue a civil claim are not compromised by any legal proceedings in another country.

  2. What compensation may I be entitled to following a death abroad?

    Compensation payable after the death of a loved one varies from country to country. Under English law, there is a fixed sum compensation award available to provide recompense after bereavement, but the main compensation award provides for the loss of dependency on the death of an individual. For example, the cost of child care services if the parent of a young child is killed, the loss of income that the family relied upon if there is the loss of a breadwinner in an accident.

    These type of damages are only paid to family members who were financially dependent on the deceased. In other European countries, the way compensation is calculated can be very different; for example, in some countries, a tariff is used that sets out fixed compensation dependent upon the relationship with the deceased.

    If you suffer a loss overseas it is vital you seek expert legal advice to ensure you get the right outcome for your case and your family.

  3. Can you assist me if my loved one didn’t have a will?

    Whether your loved one has been on a holiday or working abroad, it is entirely possible that they may pass away without a will in place that outlines their wishes in the event of their death. We have a specialist probate team who can assist you to deal with the intricacies of such matters, helping you to deal with foreign officials and provide support and advice, as well as dealing with any potential disputes that may arise.

Talk to Us

If a family member has been involved in a fatal accident, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our solicitors. Call us on 0800 054 6570 or fill in our online enquiry form and we will contact you.

Let us contact you


COVID-19 Update - Our website and phone lines are operating as normal and our teams are on hand to deal with all enquiries. Meetings can be conducted via telephone and video conferencing.

View our Privacy Policy