Fatal Accident Claims

If you have suffered the loss of a loved one due to an accident of any kind, we can help you to claim compensation on their behalf. We understand the emotional impact of a death in the family and the effect it may have on the day-to-day running of a household.

Although naturally not the first subject that you will consider following the death of a loved one, making sure that your family’s finances are appropriately taken care of is very important. A claim for financial compensation can be key when it comes to helping you to rebuild your family and support you for the future, and our solicitors can help you guide you through the compensation process.

Contact the specialist at JMW Solicitors on 0345 872 6666 to discuss your fatal personal injury claim in more detail, or fill in our online contact form and someone will be in touch soon. We have years of experience and our team has secured millions of pounds in compensation for clients.

To make a claim for a fatality that was caused by an accident caused by somebody else's negligent behaviour, visit our personal injury department.

How JMW Can Help

Fatal injuries can occur in all kinds of circumstances. The law states that those who depended on someone who suffered a fatal injury - emotionally or financially - can make a claim for compensation following their death.

Some solicitors will solely focus on the practicalities of your case, but we support our clients emotionally. We understand that legal action will never be able to make up for the loss of a loved one, but that gaining compensation can help to ease financial worries and help with the recovery process.

Making claims for the loss of a loved one can be even more upsetting if the accident was the fault of another individual who was known to the victim, perhaps a friend, colleague or another family member. Our team appreciates this, and will always seek the swiftest solution, ensuring the claims process is not drawn out.

Ultimately, nothing will ever make up for the loss of a loved one, but by finding out some answers, we hope to bring you some peace of mind that may help you to move on with your life. We know that dealing with the death of a loved one is a traumatic experience and everyone on our team will work diligently to ensure that your needs are met in a sensitive, caring and empathetic manner.

If you are not sure whether your relationship with the deceased counts as a dependent one or not, our legal team can advise you. Dependency claims are not limited to immediate family members - various other family members and close acquaintances can claim as well, if they relied on their relative or friend for support in order to maintain their quality of life.

Compensation sought as a result of an accident that was caused by somebody else’s negligence can be used to cover various expenses, including funeral costs, loss of earnings and the pain and suffering experienced as a result of the accident.


I cannot speak highly enough of Cathy Leech of JMW Solicitors, who represented me and my family following the death of my husband in an accident. She achieved the perfect balance of professionalism with the best traits of humanity, whilst guiding me through the legal system.

She was thorough, immensely knowledgeable, contactable, responsive, proactive, sensitive, and inclusive and kept me updated on developments throughout, all the while sensitively managing my emotions, fears, and expectations. Her eye for legal detail and nuances was impressive and I felt safe under her wing throughout the legal process.

Thank you Cathy for all your hard work and kindness. You made a real difference during the worst time of my life and allowed us as a family to fully understand the circumstances around the accident and my husband's death which will give us lifelong comfort. I hope this testimonial gives others reassurance to instruct you and benefit in the same way.

Making a Fatal Accident Compensation Claim Abroad

If you have lost a family member in a fatal accident while abroad, JMW Solicitors has extensive experience in helping family members whose relative has died while in another country to claim compensation and gain peace of mind. This means we understand what needs to be done to get the best possible result for you.

After a fatality in another country, it can be very difficult to find out what happened and obtain answers about where the fault lies. Seeking these answers can form part of the grieving process and our solicitors have a lot of experience helping families in this situation.

A UK inquest will normally take place following a death overseas, and expert legal representation at an inquest can be of enormous benefit. However, it may be many months after the death before an inquest takes place. In the meantime, we can help by using our legal contacts abroad to provide assistance with various matters, including representing you in any local criminal processes, helping you access local police reports and obtaining copies of evidence.

A civil claim for compensation is often possible following a death overseas. In many cases, a civil claim can be pursued in the UK through English or Welsh courts. We will make the process as stress-free as possible so you can focus on grieving the loss of a family member.


Will there be an investigation following a death overseas?

In most cases, there will be an investigation by the local police and/or authorities if a death occurs overseas. In many countries, a judge is appointed to lead the investigation, and it may be that criminal proceedings take place relating to death following an accident. Therefore, it is important you seek specialist legal advice at this point to ensure you understand the process, and so that your rights to pursue a civil claim are not compromised by any legal proceedings in another country.

What compensation may I be entitled to for a fatal accident claim abroad?

Compensation payable after the death of a loved one varies from country to country. Under English law, there is a fixed sum compensation award available to provide recompense after bereavement, but the main compensation award provides for the loss of dependency on the death of an individual. For example, the cost of child care services if the parent of a young child is killed, the loss of income that the family relied upon if there is the loss of a breadwinner in an accident.

These type of damages are only paid to family members who were financially dependent on the deceased. In other European countries, the way compensation is calculated can be very different; for example, in some countries, a tariff is used that sets out fixed compensation dependent upon the relationship with the deceased.

If you suffer a loss overseas, it is vital you seek expert legal advice to ensure you get the right outcome for your case and your family.

Can you assist me if my loved one didn’t have a will?

It is entirely possible that a loved one may pass away without a will in place that outlines their wishes in the event of their death. We have a specialist probate team who can assist you to deal with the intricacies of such matters, helping you to handle officials, provide support and advice and deal with any potential disputes that may arise.

Talk To Us

If you want to make a claim for a fatal accident, then speak to a solicitor today. Our team has the expertise and knowledge to secure compensation to cover the emotional distress of losing a loved one, as well as the financial practicalities of a loss. Call 0345 872 6666 or fill in our online contact form and someone will be in touch.

Endorsed by

Awards & Accreditations