Can I Get NHS Medical Treatment Abroad?

Call 0345 872 6666

Can I Get NHS Medical Treatment Abroad?

Navigating the maze of healthcare options can be daunting when you find yourself in need of medical treatment abroad. Whether it's a minor mishap or a serious accident, knowing your healthcare rights and options outside the UK is essential.

JMW explores if you are able to get NHS medical treatment abroad.

The Basics of NHS Treatment Abroad

Known for providing comprehensive medical treatment without the immediate burden of costs, the NHS serves as a lifeline for millions. But what happens when you're abroad? Can you still rely on the NHS for medical treatment?

The short answer is that NHS coverage primarily applies within the United Kingdom. When you're overseas, the NHS usually doesn't offer direct medical treatment, but that doesn't mean you're entirely without options. There are specific cards and agreements in place that can help you access healthcare services abroad under similar conditions to the NHS, although it's generally not a like-for-like exchange.

A key thing to bear in mind is that receiving medical treatment abroad can be subject to the healthcare systems of the country you're in. That means the types of treatments available, and the costs associated, can vary widely. In some cases, you may be entitled to free or reduced-cost medical treatment, but don't assume that it will always be the case.

Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

The Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) was introduced in January 2021 as a replacement for the previous European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which became defunct when the UK left the European Union.

The GHIC offers similar benefits to the EHIC, but extends beyond the European Economic Area. It provides access to medically necessary state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in the countries that recognise it. Unlike the EHIC, the GHIC does not cover Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.

Much like the EHIC, the GHIC enables you to receive medical treatment under similar conditions as nationals of the country you're visiting. This can range from free services to reduced-cost treatments, depending on that nation's healthcare system.

It's important to note that the GHIC is not a substitute for comprehensive travel insurance. It won't cover private healthcare costs, non-medical related costs such as lost or stolen property, or the cost of flying you back to the UK in case of serious illness or injury.

What Happens After An Accident Abroad?

First and foremost, seek immediate medical attention. Your health and wellbeing are the top priority. If possible, contact the local emergency services or go directly to a hospital.

Next, make sure you inform your travel insurance provider about the incident. They can guide you through the process and may be able to liaise with medical facilities on your behalf.

If you possess a GHIC, now is the time to present it. These cards can often expedite your access to necessary medical treatments, and could either minimise or eliminate upfront costs, depending on the healthcare system of the country you're in.

It's also advisable to contact or visit the nearest British embassy or consulate. They can offer advice, help you communicate with local authorities, and provide a list of local doctors and hospitals if needed.

Is NHS Treatment Possible Abroad?

Strictly speaking, the NHS is a healthcare service designed to operate within the United Kingdom. Therefore, if you're abroad, you won't be receiving 'NHS treatment' per se. However, the GHIC card can offer a similar level of healthcare access, often at reduced costs or even for free, depending on the country's healthcare system you're dealing with.

You might also wonder about reimbursements. If you've had to pay for treatment upfront, is it possible to claim the costs back through the NHS once you return to the UK? Unfortunately, the NHS generally does not reimburse medical expenses incurred abroad, although there can be some exceptions based on bilateral healthcare agreements. As always, the specifics can vary, so it's advisable to consult official sources or legal experts if you find yourself in such a situation.

Talk to Us

To receive all the help you need to make an accident claim as a result of an incident that happened abroad, contact our holiday accident solicitors today. Simply call us on 0345 872 6666, or fill in our online enquiry form and we will get back to you.

Did you find this post interesting? Share it on:

Related Posts