Hotel Accident Claims

Call 0345 872 6666

Hotel Accident Claims

If you’ve had an accident in a hotel or resort while abroad, and the booking was part of a package holiday, you’re entitled to make a claim against the tour operator under the Package Travel Regulations. We are experts in dealing with hotel accident claims and can help if you have been injured through no fault of your own.

To speak to a solicitor about making a hotel accident claim or a resort accident claim, get in touch with us today by calling 0345 872 6666. Alternatively, fill in our online enquiry form and we will get back to you.

How JMW Can Help

Unfortunately, things can often go wrong during a package holiday that result in a loss of enjoyment, and we have had a lot of experience dealing with claims that have arisen from a number of scenarios. The most common include:

  • Slips or falls in a hotel
  • Accidents involving defective balconies
  • Swimming pool accidents
  • Accidents caused by defective equipment within the resort
  • Accidents caused by a hotel employee’s negligence
  • Accidents while on excursions booked as part of your package 
  • Accidents during the transfer to and from your hotel

We see clients with varying degrees of injury, from minor fractures through to life-changing and long-lasting injuries. The hotel or resort should comply with local safety standards, and if this is not the case then we can pursue a claim for you. Our hotel and resort accident solicitors can guide you through the holiday accident claims process to ensure you receive the compensation that you’re entitled to. We also have foreign lawyers we can call upon to help us to gather the evidence we need to progress your case.

The accidents abroad team has a wealth of experience helping those who have suffered an injury through no fault of their own while overseas. We will take a look at your claim and discuss your options. We understand how to put together the best possible case for you to ensure you receive the holiday compensation you deserve for your injuries and loss of enjoyment. Our aim is to make the holiday accident claims process as hassle-free as possible so you can focus on making a full recovery.

What Our Clients Say

What Should You Do if You Have an Accident in a Hotel or Resort?

If you have been involved in an accident in a hotel or resort, there are a number of steps you should take that will benefit both your health and legal standing:

  • Make sure you report the incident to the hotel staff and ask them to make a record in their accident book - you should ask for a copy of the form.
  • Get details of any witnesses who may have seen your accident.
  • Seek medical attention, your European or Global Health Insurance Card or travel insurance should cover the cost.
  • Ask for copies of your medical records to help your GP or hospital back home to understand what the local medical team’s diagnosis is.
  • Take photographs of the accident location to show the cause of your injuries.

When it comes to making a claim, the more evidence you have that demonstrates exactly how your accident happened the better, and by taking these steps, your claim will be in a good position to help you receive the best possible compensation after your accident.

What are the Responsibilities of the Hotel in Ensuring Guest Safety?

Hotels have a legal obligation to maintain a safe environment for their guests. They are expected to regularly inspect and maintain all areas that guests have access to, such as rooms, corridors and common areas to make sure that these spaces are clean and free from hazards. If a floor is wet or there is ongoing maintenance work, there should be clear signage to alert guests to these dangers.

Staff training also plays an important role in guest safety. Hotel staff must be adequately trained in health and safety protocols and should know how to execute emergency procedures effectively. This ensures that, in the case of an emergency, the staff can assist in an efficient and competent manner.

Hotels are also responsible for the safety of the equipment and amenities they provide. Whether it's gym equipment, swimming pools or children's play areas, regular checks and maintenance are needed to make sure these facilities meet safety standards.

Hotels must provide adequate security measures to protect guests from potential harm or theft. This can range from CCTV cameras to secure locks and even security guards.

Failure to meet these responsibilities can put guests at risk.

How Can I Prove That the Hotel Was Responsible for Your Accident?

A key part of making a personal injury claim is gathering evidence to prove liability. Here are some steps you can take to bolster your hotel injury claim:

  • Report the accident: the first thing you should do is report the accident to hotel staff and ensure they make a record of it in their accident book. Request a copy for your records.
  • Witness statements: if anyone saw the accident, collect their contact details. Witness accounts can be invaluable in proving negligence.
  • Photographic evidence: Take photos of the accident scene, capturing any factors that may have contributed to the accident, such as wet floors, broken furniture or a lack of signage.
  • Medical records: seek medical attention immediately after the accident. Make sure to keep copies of all medical records, treatments and expenses as these can serve as evidence of your injuries.
  • Record financial losses: keep track of any financial losses you incur, such as loss of earnings or additional travel costs for medical appointments.

The advice of our hotel accident solicitors will help you to identify and collect the evidence you need.

How Much Time Do You Have to Make a Hotel Injury Claim?

If you’re able to make a claim against your tour operator or hotel management, you will usually have three years from the date the accident happened to bring your claim. However, in accidents abroad, there can be complex factors meaning shorter time limits may apply. Therefore, we recommend you seek legal advice as soon as you’re able to after your injury happens.

In some cases, there are exceptions:

  • For claims made on behalf of children, you will have up until they turn 18 to make a claim, after which they will have until the age of 21 to bring their own claim.
  • For claims made on behalf of someone who lacks mental capacity, the time limit may not apply at all.

What Hotel Accident Compensation Can You Receive?

Compensation for personal injury claims usually includes an award for your injury to compensate you for your pain and suffering (general damages), and an award for your financial losses (special damages), which can include medical expenses, travel expenses and loss of earnings. Claims for accidents in hotels may also include loss of enjoyment from a holiday or hotel service.

How much compensation you’re able to claim will depend on the severity of your injuries and your expenses. We will work with you to gather evidence to ensure you receive the proper compensation you’re entitled to.

What Costs Are Involved in Pursuing a Hotel Accident Claim?

The costs involved in pursuing a hotel accident compensation claim vary depending on the complexity of the case and the legal representation you choose. Here are some potential costs you might encounter:

  • Solicitor’s fees
  • Medical reports
  • Court fees
  • Expert witnesses
  • Miscellaneous costs

At JMW, we handle all of our personal injury claims - including hotel accident compensation claims - on a no win, no fee arrangement, which reduces the financial risk to you. Under this agreement, you'll only pay our legal fees if your claim is successful, and this is usually as a percentage of the hotel injury compensation you receive.

How Long Does it Typically Take to Claim Compensation for Hotel Injuries?

The duration to resolve hotel accident claims varies depending on several factors, such as the complexity of the case, the severity of the injuries and whether liability is accepted by the responsible parties. Simple cases where liability is quickly established could be settled in a matter of a few months. However, more complex cases, especially those requiring extensive medical evidence or those that proceed to court, can take a year or longer.

It's also worth noting that if your claim involves international law, such as an accident in a hotel abroad, the process might take longer due to the complexities of dealing with different jurisdictions.

Given these variables, it's essential to consult with our experienced solicitors as soon as possible. We can provide you with a more accurate timeline tailored to your specific case.

Why Choose JMW?

JMW Solicitors has received recognition from esteemed legal bodies like The Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners Guides due to our successes across many areas of law, including for hotel accident claims. When you choose JMW, you're not just hiring a solicitor; you're securing a dedicated, experienced advocate who understands the complexities of claiming hotel injury compensation.

Our team of personal injury solicitors secures substantial compensation amounts each year for clients all over the UK. We take proactive steps to represent your interests, using our decades of experience to build the most compelling case possible. We know all too well how a hotel accident can affect your life, not just physically but emotionally and financially as well. That's why we take a transparent, straightforward approach designed to give you peace of mind while we work diligently on your case.

Explore our case studies to see why people choose JMW to claim hotel accident compensation.

FAQs About Accidents in a Hotel Or Resort

What qualifies as a hotel accident claim?

A hotel accident claim generally refers to a legal case brought forward due to an injury sustained in a hotel or resort. To qualify for such a claim, the injury must have been caused by negligence on the part of the hotel or its staff.

If your booking was part of a package holiday, you might also be able to make a claim against the tour operator under the The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018. To find out whether you can make a claim for your injury, consult with the expert hotel accident solicitors at JMW, who will evaluate your situation and determine your eligibility for making a hotel injury compensation claim.

What if my holiday wasn't part of a package deal?

Even if you booked your hotel and flight independently from each other, you may be able to pursue a claim if you sustain an injury whilst abroad. In some cases, we can pursue the claim for you in the courts of England and Wales.

In other cases, you may need to make a claim in the local courts and we have a network of specialist lawyers who can help us do this on your behalf. We will talk you through the details of your specific case and give you expert legal advice.

Talk to Us

To make a claim for an accident you’ve had in a hotel or resort, contact our solicitors today. Simply call us on 0345 872 6666 or fill in our online enquiry form and we will get back to you.

Endorsed by

Awards & Accreditations