Hit-and-Run Claims

If you have been involved in a hit-and-run accident, it is still possible to claim compensation despite the driver fleeing the scene. While many people assume they cannot make a claim in this situation, the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) is an organisation whose role is to ensure that hit-and-run victims may be compensated. We can understand what is involved in claims of this nature and will with the MIB to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve.

Call us today to discuss the situation in more detail. We can help with your hit-and-run compensation claim and will advise you of the next steps to take. Call us on 0345 872 6666 or complete our online enquiry form and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

What Our Clients Say

How JMW Can Help

JMW has helped many victims of hit and run incidents to secure the compensation to which they are entitled. We have years of experience in handling road traffic accident claims of all varieties, and these types of incidents are no exception. We will make sure that we bring all of this experience to bear on your claim, and will be here to answer any questions you have along the way.

Making a Hit-and-Run Claim

A hit-and-run accident can be a very distressing event as there is not only the usual fallout from any car accident to deal with - the damage to your vehicle, the injuries you and your passengers may have suffered, and so on - but there is also the frustration and sense of feeling abandoned by the party at fault. Victims of such incidents also wrongly assume that they are not able to make a claim because the driver cannot be tracked. However, this is not the case.

The MIB was set up in 1946 to compensate victims of such situations. All motor insurance firms are members of the scheme, and contribute to it, ensuring that victims of such accidents can receive the compensation they deserve. Compensation can also be sought by a pedestrian hit by a car, or a rider of a bicycle or motorbike involved in a car crash.

Submitting a Claim to the Motor Insurers' Bureau

There are certain steps that must be taken before you are able to make a claim to the MIB. This will enable the MIB to deal with your case more efficiently. The steps are:

  • Report the incident to the police - This must be done within 14 days of the incident, but when this cannot be done it must be reported as soon as reasonably possible
  • Make enquiries - Do all you can to try and identify the other driver
  • Contact your insurer - All accidents should be reported as per your insurance policy

If it is impossible to find out the details of the driver at fault, we will help you submit a claim to the MIB. The procedure for claiming is slightly different to other claims, and particular rules apply over what can be recovered by way of compensation.

The MIB is a non-profit-making company and is funded by contributions from the country's insurance organisations. It reaches agreements with the UK government in an effort to make sure victims of motor accidents are adequately compensated.

We can deal with the MIB on your behalf, making the claims process less stressful for you while ensuring you get the outcome you deserve.

What to Do If You Are Involved in a Hit-and-Run Incident

To help your claim, it is important to collect as much information as possible about the incident, even if the driver who caused the accident is not present. The following is a rough guide for you to follow if you have been involved in a hit-and-run incident:

  • Make sure you receive medical attention for your injuries
  • Report the accident to the police as soon as possible
  • Find and collect the details of any witnesses to the incident
  • Take pictures of the scene
  • If possible, record the registration plate of the driver responsible

If there is damage to your vehicle which requires repair by a garage, request an estimate for how much this will cost.

Talk to Us

Get in contact with us today to discuss you hit and run claim in more detail. Simply call us on 0345 872 6666 or allow us to call you back by completing our online enquiry form.

Endorsed by