Prison Officer Compensation Claims 

If HM Prison Service has failed in its duty to protect you while at work and you have suffered an injury as a result, you may be entitled to claim compensation. 

The expert solicitors at JMW are well-positioned to help prison officers who have been injured at work to make a claim. We can provide expert guidance to give you the very best chance of securing a successful outcome to compensation for the pain and suffering caused. 

Speak to our legal experts today by calling us on 0800 054 6570. Alternatively, enable us to give you a call back by leaving your details via our online enquiry form. We can help you pursue a prison injury claim and will explain the next steps. 

What Our Clients Say

How JMW Can Help 

Prison officers work in a dangerous environment to protect the safety of inmates and fellow officers. Unfortunately, accidents can sometimes happen despite prison operational processes being in place to minimise the risk of injury. 

You are entitled to claim for an injury arising from any number of scenarios. The most common claims that we have handled include: 

  • Slips and trips as a result of damaged or badly maintained flooring, or a wet and slippery floor caused by spillages
  • Muscular and/or back injuries - including spinal injuries - as a result of manual handling errors or a lack of training 
  • Injuries caused by breaking up fights between inmates, controlling prison riots, restraining inmates and assault 

Our highly skilled team of personal injury solicitors can advise you throughout the claims process, treating you with the utmost respect and sensitivity. We understand the distress you are likely to have endured and will endeavour to make the legal process as stress-free as possible for you. 

Suffering an injury following an accident at work can be upsetting and traumatic. It can also put you at a disadvantage in the labour market, either temporarily or permanently. Claiming compensation will allow you to seek redress from those who are responsible for causing your injury, and the money you receive can be used towards supporting your family, if you have been left unable to work. 

We operate on a no win, no fee basis, meaning that if your case is unsuccessful, you will not need to pay for legal costs. 

HM Prison Services’ Duty of Care 

HM Prison Service has a duty to provide prison officers with a safe working environment. Should this duty not be met, the risk of injury can be heightened. If this happens and you are hurt, you may be in a position to make a compensation claim. 

In spite of a zero tolerance to violence policy, assaults by inmates on prison officers can still occur as they are usually incidents that cannot be foreseen or prevented by employers. In cases involving assault, it is often necessary to show that the employer failed to keep you safe during an assault by providing the following: 

  • The inmate has a history of violence that the employer was unaware of 
  • The employer did not carry out an adequate risk assessment 
  • The employer did not implement the risk assessment 

Claiming compensation in these cases can be difficult as the regulations associated with assault involving third parties are limited. This is why it is so important to seek legal advice if you have been injured by a prison inmate. 

Talk to Us 

If you are a prison officer who has suffered due to an injury that was sustained in the workplace, JMW Solicitors can help you to claim the compensation you deserve. Contact us by calling 0800 054 6570 or complete an online enquiry form and we will be in touch at a time that is suitable for you. 

Let us contact you


COVID-19 Update - Our website and phone lines are operating as normal and our teams are on hand to deal with all enquiries. Meetings can be conducted via telephone and video conferencing.

View our Privacy Policy