Accidents in Care Homes

If you or a loved one have been injured in a care home and this was caused by an act of negligence, you may be entitled to claim compensation for the pain and suffering caused. The expert team from JMW Solicitors can help you seek redress and get the compensation you deserve, regardless of whether you are a resident, an employee or a visitor to the care home.

To find out if you’re eligible to make a claim, contact our solicitors today on 0800 054 6570. Alternatively, fill in our online form and let us know a suitable time to get in touch with you.

How JMW Can Help

JMW has an expert team of lawyers who have a wealth of experience when it comes to dealing with injuries to an employee or resident arising as a result of accidents in care and nursing homes. Our team of solicitors will handle your claim with care and empathy, keeping you informed every step of the way.

People living in care homes are often in that environment because they require more support and assistance than can be provided from a part-time or full-time carer in their home environment, and this makes them vulnerable. Those working at nursing homes are also vulnerable to injury if appropriate systems are not in place to ensure that service users are cared for appropriately, with the right number of carers per service user.

Whether you’re a service user or an employee, if you suffer an injury as a result of someone else’s negligence, you are entitled to claim for compensation to help you make a recovery from your injury. This will provide you with financial support at a time of need and ensure that you are able to focus on making a recovery.

Compensation can support you in a variety of ways. For example, if you’re an employee, it can cover the cost of having to take time off work. For vulnerable people injured in another’s care, it can help to secure appropriate medical assistance and can pay for any extra care or support provided by family and friends during recovery from an injury.

Common Accidents Suffered by Service Users

There are a number of common accidents and incidents that care home service users may experience, regardless of whether the care home is for elderly people, or those with physical disabilities. These include:

  • Slips, trips and falls
  • Accidents arising from lack of mobility aids
  • Improper handling out of bed and from the toilet
  • Prescription and medication errors
  • Pressure sores and ulcers
  • Dehydration

The government sets strict rules on the standard of care that should be provided to residents of a care home. If they are not adhered to by care home workers, you could be entitled to make a claim for compensation.

Common Accidents that Care Home Staff May Suffer

Care home staff members can sustain injuries in a variety of ways, including:

  • Lifting and moving patients from beds and seats
  • Helping patients out of toilets and showers
  • Attacks from violent patients or family members
  • Tripping and falling down stairs or over obstructions

Injuries may also occur if there are fewer than the allocated number of staff to care for a service user who has been identified as requiring assistance from one than one staff member during various times of day.

It is an employer’s duty to ensure that procedures are in place to reduce the risks of injury in a care home. If they have failed to keep you from harm, you may be able to make a compensation claim.

Signs of Neglect

There are a number of warning signs that can point towards a care home’s failure to look after a service user. They can include changes to the service user’s appearance, such as unexplained bruises, cuts and grazes, weight loss and lack of personal hygiene, or changes in their behaviour, including appearing more fearful than usual.

Talk to Us

Get in touch with our solicitors today to get your claim underway. You can call us on 0800 054 6570 or fill in our enquiry form and we’ll call you back at a time you specify.

Endorsed by

Let us contact you

View our Privacy Policy