- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- Armed Forces Claims
- Clinical Negligence
- Court of Protection
- Criminal Defence
- Driving Offences
- Family Law
- Intellectual Property
- Media Law
- Personal Injury
- Personal Immigration Services
- Personal Insolvency
- Professional Regulation and Discipline
- Residential Real Estate
- Wills, Trusts & Estate Planning
- Will Disputes
- About Us
- News & Events
Holiday Sickness and Food Poisoning Claims
If you have fallen ill during a holiday and believe it was caused by negligence by a hotel or restaurant, the expert solicitors at JMW can help you make a successful holiday sickness or food poisoning compensation claim.
The last thing you want on your holiday is an illness that means you are unable to enjoy your time away, as you should. Many people suffer illness or food poisoning while on holiday, and it can ruin a wonderful trip away with family or friends, and in more severe cases, can continue to affect your life on your return.
The team at JMW is hugely experienced in helping victims of unnecessary and avoidable holiday illness and food poisoning, and we will handle your claim in a manner that ensures you get the maximum amount of compensation to which you are entitled.
Speaking to a member of the team about your holiday sickness claim couldn't be easier. All you need to do is call 0800 054 6570 or, if you'd prefer, we will be able to call you back when you complete our online enquiry form. We can help you get your claim started and take the first step in making up for a nightmare trip that should have been fun and relaxing.
What Our Clients Say
How JMW Can Help
We are highly experienced in dealing with holiday food poisoning and sickness claims. We understand the intricacies involved and what needs to be evidenced. We can steer you in the right direction and ensure you are in the best position to recover compensation for your illness.
Our three-step process means everything will be kept as stress-free and simple as possible for you:
- Call us - a five-minute call will allow us to take your details
- Paperwork - we'll email your forms to fill out
- Compensation - we'll fight to get you the maximum compensation
We will fight your corner from start to finish and our proactive and professional approach will give you the best chance of securing the compensation you deserve.
How to Make a Holiday Sickness or Food Poisoning Claim
At JMW, we can help you make a holiday sickness claim following food poisoning or illness caused by a hotel or restaurant while on holiday. If the answer to the questions below is yes, we can help you make a claim against the tour operator you travelled with.
- Was your holiday an all-inclusive package holiday?
- Have you suffered from symptoms such as sickness, diarrhoea, dehydration, stomach cramps, fever and loss of appetite?
- Have you been ill for seven or more days?
- Have you reported your illness to the holiday rep in the resort or complained on return home?
- Have you sought medical treatment?
- Have you been diagnosed with a pathogen (bacterial infection)?
In order to be successful with your case, we will need to prove not only that you were ill, but that the hotel negligently caused your illness, and that there were no other potential causes. Our experienced team will guide you through all the details and requirements as the matter progresses.
If you're still on holiday and have decided to make a claim, there are several things you can do to strengthen your claim:
- You should make sure that you report your illness to the hotel staff and your tour operator representative
- Seek medical advice where necessary
- Retain receipts of any medication purchased abroad
- Take photographs of any areas that you feel had poor levels of hygiene
- Try to find out if other guests had similar experiences to you and, if so, get their contact details to see if they would be willing to provide a supporting statement
All of this evidence will go a long way to supporting your claim and making sure you get the compensation you deserve. Also, by making enquiries with us and ensuring that the problems you experienced at your resort are flagged, you may also help to prevent other holidaymakers from having similar experiences to you.
Your Holiday Legal Rights
A significant number of people suffer illness or injury while on a package holiday, but many of us remain confused as to what our rights actually are. Who is responsible if we become ill overseas? What support can we expect? And from whom?
We have answered these questions in our handy guide to making a successful holiday illness compensation claim: Your Holiday Legal Rights: The Expectations and Responsibilities of Tour Operators Following Accidents Abroad.
What are some common holiday illnesses?
A holiday should be a chance to relax and have some fun. Yet unfortunately, holidays are often ruined by illness and food poisoning. Common forms of food poisoning include:
What are the symptoms of food poisoning?
All forms of food poisoning share very similar symptoms which can include:
- Stomach cramps
- Dramatic changes in temperature
What are the long-term effects of food poisoning?
Hopefully, you won't suffer from the effects of food poisoning for more than a few weeks at the most. However, in some cases, you may go on to have long-term health issues, such as:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- High blood pressure
- Kidney failure
These are serious health issues and making a claim will compensate you for the pain and suffering they may cause you. It is therefore important you contact JMW if you have suffered from food poisoning on holiday. We will help you to claim the compensation to which you are rightfully entitled.
What causes food poisoning on holiday?
You may become ill while on holiday for any number of reasons that are due to the negligence of other parties. In these instances, you are entitled to make a claim for compensation.
We've got a great deal of experience in helping people just like you, who have suffered illness abroad. We have encountered several common causes of illnesses, including:
- Buffet food left out for long periods in high temperatures
- Undercooked food
- Poor standards of hygiene in food preparation areas
- An unhygienic swimming pool
- Poor sanitation
- Negligence from the hotel kitchen and cleaning staff
What should I do if I become ill while on holiday?
- Drink lots of bottled water – dehydration can make you feel a lot worse.
- Seek treatment when necessary, and make sure you retain all the treatment notes and any receipts for that treatment that you have abroad.
- Report the illness to the hotel and the holiday representative. Make sure a written report is made and logged, and that where possible you are given a copy.
- Take photographs of the resort (areas where you believe hygiene to be poor) and of any food that you feel does not meet the required standard.
- If other people are ill too, take their details. We may need them to provide a statement to help with your claim.
- When you get home, if you are still unwell, visit your GP.
- If your illness is particularly lengthy, keep a daily diary of symptoms.
Talk to Us
Call us today on 0800 054 6570 or complete our online enquiry form and a member of the team will get back to you as soon as they can. This could be the first step in what could atone for your ruined holiday and make a real difference as you move on with your life.