- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Holiday Illness and Food Poisoning Claims
The last thing you want on your Holiday is an illness that means you are unable to have fun with friends and family and enjoy your surroundings, and the resort, as you should. Many people suffer illness or food poisoning while on holiday, and it can ruin a wonderful trip away with family or friends, and in more severe cases, can continue to affect your life on return from your holiday. If you have suffered with illness or food poisoning on an all-inclusive package holiday, you may be able to make a claim for compensation. The team at JMW is hugely experienced in dealing with cases of this type and we will handle your claim in a manner that ensures you get the maximum amount of compensation due to you.
Speaking to a member of the team couldn't be easier. All you need to do is call today on 0800 054 6570 or, if you prefer, we will be able to call you back when you complete our online enquiry form. Just five minutes on the phone to us will get your claim started and represents the first step in making up for a nightmare trip that should have been fun and relaxing.
What Our Clients Say
Common Holiday Illness Claims
A holiday should be a chance to relax and have some fun. Yet unfortunately, holidays are often ruined by illness and food poisoning.
Common forms of food poisoning include:
All of these forms of food poising share very similar symptoms which can include:
- Stomach cramps
- Dramatic changes in temperature
Hopefully you won't suffer from the effects of food poisoning for more than a few weeks at the most. However, in some cases you may go on to have long-term health issues, such as:
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- High blood pressure
- Kidney failure
These are serious health issues and making a claim will compensate you for the pain and suffering they may cause you. It is therefore important you contact JMW if you have suffered from food poisoning on holiday. We will help you to claim the compensation to which you are rightfully entitled.
By making enquiries with us and ensuring that the problems you experienced at your resort are flagged, you may also help to prevent other holidaymakers from having similar experiences to you.
Causes of Holiday Sickness
You may become ill while on holiday for any number of reasons that are due to the negligence of other parties. In these instances, you are entitled to make a claim for compensation.
We've got a great deal of experience in helping people just like you, who have suffered illness abroad. We have encountered several common causes of illnesses, including:
- Buffet food left out for long periods in high temperatures
- Undercooked food
- Poor standards of hygiene in food preparation areas
- An unhygienic swimming pool
- Poor sanitation
- Negligence from hotel kitchen and cleaning staff
Top Tips If You Become Ill Abroad
- Drink lots of bottled water – dehydration can make you feel a lot worse.
- Seek treatment when necessary, and make sure you retain all the treatment notes and any receipts for that treatment that you have abroad.
- Report the Illness to the Hotel and the Holiday Representative. Make sure a written report is made and logged, and that where possible you are given a copy.
- Take photographs of the resort (areas where you believe hygiene to be poor) and of any food that you feel does not meet the required standard.
- If other people are ill too, take their details. We may need them to provide a statement to help with your claim.
- When you get home, if you are still unwell visit your GP.
- If your illness is particularly lengthy, keep a daily diary of symptoms
Your Holiday Legal Rights
Although a significant number of people suffer illness or injury while on a package holiday, many of us remain confused as to what our rights actually are. Who is responsible if we become ill overseas? What support can we expect? And from whom? We have answered these questions in our handy guide: Your Holiday Legal Rights: The Expectations and Responsibilities of Tour Operators Following Accidents Abroad.
Do I Have a Claim?
- Was your Holiday an all-inclusive Package Holiday?
- Have you suffered from symptoms such as sickness, Diarrhoea, Dehydration, Stomach Cramps, Fever and Loss of appetite?
- Have you been ill for 7 or more days?
- Have you reported your illness to the Holiday Rep in the resort or complained on return home?
- Have you sought medical treatment?
- Have you been diagnosed with a Pathogen (bacterial infection)?
If the answer to the above questions is yes, then we can help you claim the compensation you deserve from the Tour Operator you travelled with. In order to be successful with your case, we will need to prove not only that you were ill, but that the Hotel negligently caused your illness, and that there were no other potential causes. Our experienced Holiday Team will guide you through all the details and requirements as the matter progresses.
How to Make a Claim
At JMW, we can help you claim the compensation to which you may be entitled following food poisoning or illness caused by a hotel or restaurant while on holiday. If you're still on holiday and have decided to make a claim, there are several things you can do to strengthen your claim; you should make sure that you report your illness to the hotel staff and your tour operator representative, and seek medical advice where necessary. Retain receipts of any medication purchased abroad, and take photographs of any areas that you feel had poor levels of hygiene.
You should also try to find out if other guests had similar experiences to you and, if so, get their contact details to see if they would be willing to provide a supporting statement.
All of this evidence will go a long way to supporting your claim and making sure you get the compensation you deserve.
If you are in contact with fellow holidaymakers from your hotel who have also suffered with food poisoning, you should ask them if they would offer a supporting statement to help with your case. Your claim will be strengthened by other holidaymakers who have had the same experience as you.
Why Choose JMW?
JMW is highly experienced in dealing with food poisoning and illness claims. We understand the intricacies involved and what needs to be evidenced. We can steer you in the right direction and ensure you are in the best position to recover compensation for your illness.
Our three-step process means everything will be kept as stress-free and simple as possible for you:
- Call us - a five-minute call will allow us to take your details
- Paperwork - We'll email your forms to fill out
- Compensation - We'll fight to get you the maximum compensation
We will fight your corner from start to finish and our proactive and professional approach will give you the best chance of securing the compensation you deserve.