- Solicitors For Business
- Solicitors For You
- About Us
- News & Events
Accidents on Oil Rigs
If you or a loved one have been injured due to an accident on an oil rig, you are entitled to compensation. JMW has a talented team of solicitors who have many years’ experience dealing with accidents at work, particularly those that have resulted in serious or complex injuries. Our clients frequently tell us that our team is caring and empathetic when handling claims; we will do everything within our power to secure the compensation you deserve.
What Our Clients Say
Oil rigs are among the highest-risk environments in which you can work. Workers deal with extreme conditions on a daily basis, and although there are measures put in place to provide a safe working environment, accidents can still happen. Risks begin from the moment you set off to work on a rig and can include:
- Adverse weather conditions, which are amplified when working on the platform.
- Travelling to the oil rig in a helicopter.
- Drilling into the seabed can release pressure from below the Earth’s surface, causing the platform to destabilise.
- The release of hazardous substances that are damaging to your health (a side-effect of drilling).
- Handling of heavy equipment.
- Damage to the structure of the oil rig, in some cases causing a rig to sink.
- Prolonged use of vibrating power tools.
- Exposure to loud noises.
Due to the nature of accidents on an oil rig, it is important that you seek specialist advice from an expert solicitor if you’ve sustained an injury and intend to make a claim. This will ensure that any claim made takes into account the complexities of the working environment and the repercussions on you and any loved ones.
There is strict legislation in place to protect those working in extreme conditions, such as oil rigs. Employers have a duty to adhere to rules and regulations set by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). This includes assessing the likelihood of risks and implementing counter measures to minimise injuries. Common actions taken by employers include:
- Training workers on correct health and safety procedures.
- Issuing suitable personal protective equipment, such as helmets, hearing protection and steel-capped boots.
- Monitoring and maintaining the structure of the oil rig.
- Providing safeguards against hazardous substances.
If an employer has failed to keep you or a loved one from harm, you are entitled to make an oil rig accident claim.
Making a personal injury claim not only helps you seek recompense for an injury that wasn’t your fault, it will also provide you with valuable financial support during your recovery. A compensation claim can cover for time taken off work, medical bills and an allowance for any extra care you might receive off family or friends.
We can provide you with clear, expert advice on what to do when making a claim for compensation. With more than 35 years’ experience and a strong track record in obtaining compensation on behalf of individuals who have suffered an injury at work, JMW is the ideal law firm to help you pursue a claim after suffering an accident on an oil rig.
Due to the serious and complicated nature of injuries sustained on an oil rig, it is possible you will require ongoing help from expert medical professionals. Our solicitors will put you in contact with the experts who are best suited to help your recovery, so you can rest assured that you will receive the right support for your injuries.